Car Insurance

Started by Juska, August 27, 2016, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much do you pay per month for car insurance per vehicle?

Don't have a car / Not Applicable
1 (8.3%)
Less than $50
3 (25%)
$50-100
6 (50%)
$100-$150
2 (16.7%)
More than $150
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Juska

Ok, so I'm not sure I'm getting a good deal on my car insurance and I'm curious what everyone else is paying.

I'm using Nationwide and I'm paying approx. $80 per month. I'm paying for fairly good coverage, but not the best. I'm set up with a $1,000 deductible on collision and have a multitude of discounts (home/car, new car, etc.).

I've never been in an accident and the only time I've ever submitted a claim was when the sunroof flew out of my previous car (Nationwide covered it, act of God or something). No DUI's or anything, over 25 and married.

Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

windhound

This is gonna depend mostly on what the car is.   
New cars will have vastly more expensive insurance, and if it's considered 'sporty' throw in a few more bucks. 

Checked for grins, my total policy for three vehicles with Geico is $521.52 per six mo, so $86.92/mo
29y/o, single, clean driving record, no claims. 
'70 Beetle ($17.76/mo), '94 F150 ($22.65/mo), and an '04 Ford ($43.82/mo)
No, that doesn't add up, but close enough once you add in uninsured motorist coverage etc.  Most of the options are set mid-range. 

The '70 Bug and '94 F150 fall into the 'bottom of the barrel' class, cost was the same till I added collision to the truck.  '04 Ford also has collision ($500 deduct. ea). 

Call around, get quotes from other agencies.  It'll become clear pretty quick how competitive your current rates are.

.......completely off topic, how long have you been married?  (and congrats)
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

wolf bite

In California the zip code makes all the difference (so hard to do a national poll of costs). I moved from one area to another and it literally went up from $600 per year to over $1,000. I know some people rent a PO Box in cheaper areas just to get their auto insurance bills to pretend to be in lower areas. Also make sure you ask what discounts there may be, most agents don't let you know that the cost is less if the car lives in a garage or you are in school or have a degree, etc.

I use AAA insurance because I have been used others in the past and always had a hard time to get them to do anything, or do it timely. But AAA was a little more, but still reasonable, and jumped on every time someone nicked my car and had it fixed without bickering whether I should have to pay for something I had nothing to do with. Even more important is some companies want to put some level of fault on you (even if you were parked) so that they can call it an "driver caused incident" and raise your rates. AAA has not played those games.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

windhound

Knew it varied a little by area, but that's substantially more than I'd have expected...  owch
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Neobaron

Similar situation for us here as WB. When we moved from EC to SCF our insurance doubled, and they're less than a hundred miles apart. When we moved from SCF to where we are now, it was cut by about a third.

We use progressive and opted for the semi-annual payments, so that saves us some money too in exchange for having to front a larger sum twice a year.

Runs about $60 a month in our current area.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Gen. Volkov

My car insurance runs about 60ish a month, on an '02 Honda Civic. Its a coupe, so its considered "sporty", I guess. I have Progressive, like Neo. I don't remember all the details on it, but I think my coverage options are on the lower end, I pay monthly instead of semi-annually though. Semi-annual wasn't really an option for me when I got the insurance. I was working at Wallyworld then, basically living paycheck to paycheck.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Juska

I have 2013 Focus ST, so I'm paying the sport premium and I've got some amount of value to insure. Previously I had a 1999 Acura Integra GSR and I wasn't paying much less than I am today. I could call around and get quotes, but in general I dislike dealing with salespeople and at least in my area agents aren't working evenings or weekends. To wolf bite's experience I've never had an issue with Nationwide and they covered the sunroof in the Integra which was probably more the cars fault (it basically rusted out and then I was driving 70 mph into 45 mph wind gusts = bye bye sunroof) without any questions. So if I could save $300-$500 a year by switching it's probably worth the effort to get the quotes and switch everything over (probably need to do the house at the same time) and take the chance on an insurer I don't know, but if I'm only going to save $60 I don't think it's worth the effort, hence the question. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Also, thanks windhound! I've been married a little over two years.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Calantorntain

We are a one-car household, and don't drive much. We drove about 175 miles this month, which is quite a bit more than usual.

So, we use a by-the-mile insurance.  We pay a base rate of about $30 each month, and for every mile we drive, we pay about 6 cents.  It's great!  I don't remember exactly what are deductible etc are, but I think it's a higher deductable, but also one of the highest amounts for covering other people (I have a fear of running into a lambo or something and losing all my money)  Saves us soooo much money.  I definitely recommend Metromile (and if anyone wants to use a referral code: http://fbuy.me/efxrg) or similar plans, to anyone who doesn't drive much.
"Death death death death death death la la la la death" -- The Woad to Wuin

Gorak

I've decided to start Necro'ing old topics since there is like no forum activity anymore, and also I've been gone for years.

Back to topic, here we have an insurance monopoly (ICBC) regulated by provincial government. I buy 1 year at a time for alittle over $1600 ($5mill liability, comprehensive, collision, and out-of-province insurance) It works out slightly cheaper then monthly payments due to not paying interest. I also paid a $1650 one time payment for replacement/depreciation insurance when I bought my car. This is for a 2015 Jaguar XF sport
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.