I'd pay an admin to bring back turbo

Started by Blood Wake, July 04, 2016, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blood Wake

With the same code as the regular server buy with faster turns.

If someone wants to keep that other code, give it it's own server. Some of the reason I left was because turbo changed and I feared reg would Eventually go with it. After asking around, I've found I'm not the only one.
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Shadow

If there's enough interest in it I'd have no problem with it. Honestly not really sure how to make a change that significant, though, so it would have to be windy or shael moving the code over. So, if you can drum up enough interest to convince them it's worth the work, go ahead.

I have to say, though, from what I have observed over the years here, is that activity is more related to the pace of change than it is to the code itself. During development of 3.0, we had a huge spike in activity, which died down when the pace of development slowed. With something like RWL, taking part in building something seems to be more of a driver of activity than anything else.

I'm perfectly willing to drop 3.0 code completely and revert to the old code if that's what the active community wants, but I suspect you'll find that the code base used is less important than having people participate in the evolution of their game. In a continuously developed game like RWL, the end product is much less important the the path it took to get there.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

EmpNero

Not a big deal. 
Reg shared its' code with Turbo pre-RWL3, and RWL3 is just a modified version of what was then reg.  All the custom rounds etc should be there. 
Would just need to verify nothing was added to Reg and not Turbo's table in the db. 

Turbo's activity level was falling even when it was still cared for.  No idea when was the last time it was reset?  Guy up top currently has 3 billion networth......

RWL3 was mostly Peace and Shadow's iirc, if Shads is fine with rolling back we can do a reset and load reg's code instead.  I don't think there's enough demand for dual turbo servers, classic and RWL3, but if people want it we can do that too. 
If nothing else it could stand a reset.

(~windhound)
A Deranged Emperor of Rome?
Formerly of the clan Rome

Shadow

Rollback is fine, as long as people actually want it. Blood Wake has been a lone voice of opposition to 3.0 for a long time now, but if more than one person wants to do old turbo then by all means, go for it.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

I'm not particularly fussed either way. I kinda liked RWL 3.0, just because it was something new and different. I wouldn't want it ported to reg, but having Turbo be the same thing as reg, just faster was getting kinda boring.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

I'm willing to help out with anything that needs to be done, now that I work from home, my time is a lot more flexible. I've also started to check the forums a little more often.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.