Heya

Started by Graceclaw, July 15, 2017, 07:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graceclaw

I'm a sucker for complicated turn-based games and I've read everything in the Redwall series at least 3x, so here I am.

It's a testament to the game that it's still around 15 years after it was released - there must be a really good base community of people who really enjoy the game and environment. I figured I'd give it a whirl, at least for a little while :)

I'm a data nerd - I work as a Data Analytics person for Wells Fargo. I already have a spreadsheet set up to help me decide how many of each building to build each time I decide to  build.

I started off as Painted Ones because it seemed like there would be more mercy w/regards to food+money management, and it's usually simpler early on in games to just spam enemies with sheer volume of troops rather than worry about specific attack vs defense strategies.

I've taken a screenshot of where I stand after 199 turns. Let me know how I'm looking/shaping up for a newbie ;)

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s503/Graceclaw2/First199_zpsvfcpzobd.png

Hopefully I'll end up staying around for a while!

Krowdon

Hey! Welcome to the forum!! I hope you enjoy your time here!
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Gen. Volkov

Can't seem to see your picture, but hey, welcome to the game!
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

Hi and welcome! 
Since you're a data geek you might appreciate this - http://windhound.org/rwlbeta/willitbreak.php
http://windhound.org/rwlbeta/source.php?script=willitbreak

Never got around to finishing it, iirc the leader attack calc is still somewhat wonky..
's not perfect, but it'll give you a good idea how the attack system works. 

Also Photobucket is awful these days, used to be alright..  try imgur.com
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Graceclaw

http://imgur.com/S7qKQI6

That better? I know PB changed one of its settings recently.

Gen. Volkov

Yeah, I can see it now. You are going to need to specialize more. Just build a few types of buildings, I'd recommend markets, barracks, and foragers. You'll also want way more troops. I'd recommend focusing most of your effort on making one type of troop, like rats or stoats.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Briar

Welcome!

Once you get out of vacation, you'll be able to do a lot more.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Sevah

Welcome to redwall. I'm the tough guy around here you'll enjoy running into me. When we go into battle don't give up like a crybaby. I can crush you real easy but I can also restore it all x2 soon as you've had enough. Keep collecting your data and get as strong as possible. The game guide doesn't mention the things I can do.

Since you're new, play it safe.
It's always better to specialize in one thing at a time. Painted One is a versatile choice to get a point of reference but in this game the race modifiers are really powerful. Once you know what you want to achieve you can decide what to use.
Lower army size while you're using turns until you're heaps good at managing. Use timing to finish with the army at the end of your turns.
Starting on food is generally the easiest way to get momentum. You can simply sell it on the mercs for instant money. Having a big amount boosts your networth without expenses so that's how the wolves get huge. It's a long term asset if you place massive amounts on the market for a later date.
That's the easiest way to win to be honest. Moderators don't know how to balance the game so I recommend forages and public market.
Use Rats to get land. Stoats are next best or if you're heaps good at the game leaders can be the most effective.
Also at the end of your turns, build a few towers. They help your losses when you get attacked.
Standard setup for using barracks is 40/10/30/20. That gets you a leveled out army.
When I'm using industry, I'll have a few camps to increase my sale prices and generate 100% stoats until I reach a decent amount to sell. Then 100% skiffs until it's time to sell again and focus on finishing really defensive.
I'm due to transition into a defensive warlord that will cause you all nightmares. You'll see what I'm talking about in the next few days.

If you want to know all the ins and outs just message me ingame.
~TheReaper#5~
This cuddlefriendy suggestion was brought to you by Sevz.