Relevant to the UMD discussion about the election.

Started by Gen. Volkov, August 15, 2016, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

I'm going to post there in a bit, this is a great read though. Long, but hits on so many of the points we are currently talking about in UMD. Take a look. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2016/08/the_week_democracy_died_how_brexit_nice_turkey_and_trump_are_all_connected.html
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Genevieve

Gen. Volkov

LOL, well, I didn't want to stick it in the UMD thread, because I didn't think it entirely fit.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

The Lady Shael

It has divided the nation, but it has brought RWLers together.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Juska

Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Neobaron

Juska are you this snarky in real life? I feel like you'd be the friend that functions as "the guy who is sarcastic" and triggers the audience laughter.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Gen. Volkov

LOL, maybe tomorrow I'll read through it again and try to do a TL;DR, but really, read the whole thing. It's a good read.

Juska

Current Empires:

Neobaron

Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

The Lady Shael

~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Juska

So, I read the entire article. A good synopsis of the current state of affairs in the world. I disagree with the tone of the article and the two keys assumptions that the author makes: Democracy is superior to Autocracy and that more government is superior to less government. They are pros and cons to both. Also, this isn't really anything that new....the status quo changes overtime and transition is hard. I think there are rich democracies that have collapsed or rather destroyed by imperialism (Ancient Greece, Rome, The Confederate States of America, The Boer states of North South Africa etc....)

But ultimately I just like to disagree with Volkov.

Also, I like you too Neo.

Current Empires: