SPOILERS: HP and The Cursed Child

Started by Briar, September 23, 2016, 06:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briar

I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Anyone else read this yet? I'm itching to discuss it.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Gen. Volkov

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Krowdon

I've been meaning to read it. Without spoilers, what did you think?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Briar

I don't think it does Rowling's characters justice and it didn't really get interesting until near the end.

Additionally, the play was written oddly. There were side notes from the playwright which typically isn't in a play. It would be interesting to see it performed because several of the scenes seem technically difficult.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Holby

It was fairly rubbish, but could have been awesome. The first few chapters are promising,  but then it all gets stupid and fanservicey. I think seeing it in person would be incredible,  though.
I will not deleted this

The Lady Shael

I kinda liked it. I understood it was meant to be viewed as a play, so I tried not to compare the writing/dialogue style to the previous books. I'm sure if it was intended to be a book, some of the events would not have happened (they were just an excuse to add cool effects on stage).
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Krowdon

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

The Lady Shael

I'd say definitely! It was a little nostalgic going out to buy "the latest Harry Potter book" and sitting down to read it all in one day. Even if it wasn't a normal book, it was interesting to see what happened to old familiar characters.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Briar

Quote from: Holby on September 24, 2016, 06:13:08 PM
It was fairly rubbish, but could have been awesome. The first few chapters are promising,  but then it all gets stupid and fanservicey. I think seeing it in person would be incredible,  though.
^yes

It's worth the read just to read it. I wouldn't recommend purchasing it unless you like to have a Harry Potter book collection.

Like Holby said, it could have been awesome. Maybe the playwrights were constrained for time, but there was little character development besides teenage angst (reason why I the 4/5 books aren't my favorite). In the end, I felt it wasn't even a well written play (and I've read my fair share of plays).