Permanent Classic Server

Started by Firetooth, December 02, 2016, 10:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have a permanent classic server ala RtR (or maybe just old-school Turbo)

Yes
8 (57.1%)
Yes
1 (7.1%)
Also Yes
3 (21.4%)
No
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Firetooth

Simple question. My justifications are that it would be a more active server, as we have seen from RtR. I don't think people who wanna come back and relive the nostalgia of the old days get the same buzz off of 3.0, and there's not the numbers of new people coming in anymore to sustain 3.0 as anything other than a playpen really. RtR shows we can have a reasonable active and competitive turbo-esque server, so I think we should keep running it.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Turbo is classic currently but only like 6 people signed up. I suspect the RtR bump was just that - it won't last.

We can certainly leave turbo with the classic code, though.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

I'd be for keeping some version of the RTR server up, maybe it could keep people around?
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

What about just running one server (Reg code) with RtR's turns (550 vs 450) and rate (2 every 10)?
I don't think we really have the players to support two servers, much less three.

Turbo with round-themes was great, but most of those themes require a reasonable amount of players, 25 - 30 preferred.
That, and I currently don't have the time/energy to patch up old round themes and make new ones.  I coded RtR's Badger-related stuff on the fly, just barely staying ahead of in-game events for a while.
If Shads has the time plus motivation and wants to take this on more power to him.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

wolf bite

People need a reason to do anything. Even volunteers for the homeless expect a selfie and a slap on the back. Long ago anyone could be emperor, if they were good enough. The better players got the more needed it was for clans and diplomacy. But after some time even the top players top out when the % of difference between them is slight.

What motivates a new player like IronPaw to play? It would take years to know what we do after 15 years. He has no support group. By mere numbers of old timers working together it makes it possible for the new player. Sure, when there was 300 players in this game there was so much room that even if 20 teamed up, it was not a big deal. We just played a game with about 40 players who all had experience, but almost half dropped out. My thought is that they did not see what was in it for them. More people were logging into the forum to check out the reality show drama than play the game.

Interesting about the last game was the bots. Great work by windy. But if there was a way where the Bots were always the common enemy and grew and reacted as the players grew, then maybe the playing field wold be even.

A thoughtful post should have a solution, but I only have questions. If we dumb down the game, eliminate the teaming up, and make other changes to in a way where everyone has a chance then for most it would be a bore and even the faithful would not play besides to babysit the young. Is there a balance?

We need to answer what is in it for the players, then find a way to be what they want.

Wolf Bite

Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Shadow

I don't think it's so much about catering to a particular demographic anymore. Fact is, text-based games are a thing of the 90s. We've survived this long because we have a dedicated community of people who grew up together, but in terms of attracting new players the draw simply isn't there anymore when you look at the alternatives that are available to the same players.

I had a lot of fun coding 3.0, and helping windy with the bots that came after, but I no longer really have the time for big projects. Windy did an excellent job this round, bugs notwithstanding, given the time constraints placed on him, but I think the situation is the same for him.

I've had lots of fun here and I'll continue visiting until it's well and truly done because I really like the people who make up this community, but the game itself is best left to fond memories, I think. We can keep servers running in whatever form people want in the meantime, but big code projects are probably a thing of the past.

Firetooth

Yeah, maybe close Turbo and keep Reg, but change it to an RtR turn rate?
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Briar

Quote from: Shadow on December 02, 2016, 11:45:33 AM
Turbo is classic currently but only like 6 people signed up. I suspect the RtR bump was just that - it won't last.

We can certainly leave turbo with the classic code, though.

Turbo isn't 3.0 right now?

If I'd known that, I would have signed up.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

windhound

It was posted in the Turbo forum. 

Quote from: Firetooth on December 03, 2016, 07:34:00 AM
Yeah, maybe close Turbo and keep Reg, but change it to an RtR turn rate?
Yes, this. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Juska

I wouldn't mind an RtR round without a random unknown theme injected right as things are getting interesting......

.....Badger was probably fun for those who played

Not that I went inactive because of the Badger, my son was born on Oct 4th, kinda limited the whole free time thing.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Shadow

Gen. Volkov

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Briar

Quote from: Juska on December 05, 2016, 08:22:14 PM
Not that I went inactive because of the Badger, my son was born on Oct 4th, kinda limited the whole free time thing.

Woo-Hoo!

Best thing that can happen. Mine just turned 1 :D
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Firetooth

^Congrats Juska.

Also, any rough timeline of when this server merging is gonna be done? For the new year?

Gen. Volkov

I'd also like to know an approximate timeline for stuff.

(Also postin posts)