Next Round

Started by windhound, December 30, 2017, 10:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

Hey all
I know it's last min, but I'm assuming most current players will login within the next day to do their final run before the reset.

It's been suggested that we have a no public market round, are most of yall good with that? 
What about simply preventing removal of marketed goods?  Once you send troops / food to the market it's there.  Or hiking the market penalty to, I donno, 50%? 

I'm open to (simple) ideas
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Sevah

The problem with no market is that the stronger players will become way too big in a short amount of time.

Why not make the headquarters 100x stronger for the new players?
This cuddlefriendy suggestion was brought to you by Sevz.

windhound

I was under the impression that part of the problem with the market was that people were using it as a storage facility. 
'spose I could calc the upkeep costs for troops on the market, but that doesn't address food storage (add 'spoilage' over time?). 

Sorry, I haven't actively played in a bit, how does no market benefit the strongest players the most?

I'm absolutely open to making 'headquarters' more useful.  It appears to already scale negatively with net, the bigger you are the less you get.  It just doesn't give very much. 
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

Yeah, that is the problem with the market. It's not being used as a market, it's just being used to store troops or food. I would like a no market round, just to see how the game would function.

I think what Sevah means is that without the market to store food, the top players would be out of reach of the lower players fairly quite due to NW attack limits. There's also a market passing strat that some people use to build up large amounts of troops without having to deal with the upkeep costs.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

Hah..  I remember the 'no mercs' theme was created to encourage people to actually use the pub market.. 
On reset (tonight at 8pm EST (?)) I'll do a thing and disable the pub market. 

If people want something different after a couple weeks we can re-eval. 

Disl

No public market is fine with me. I just use the public market because sacks hurt :(

Sevah

What if you create a clan market?

This cuddlefriendy suggestion was brought to you by Sevz.

windhound

If the idea is to stop people storing goods (for free, minus the market tax) then a clan market doesn't really solve anything. 

Could:
- Charge upkeep for troops, the same as if they were in your regular army. 
- Decay food over time (1% per day?)
- Prevent removing anything off the market
- Decrease the amount you're allowed to put on the market at one time
- Increase the market tax it takes when you pull
- Clear the market, returning all goods (minus tax), a week before the reset (I think Turbo had this option)
- Preset prices, combine the Mercs and Public market. 

We want people to use the market, it's great for gameplay, we don't want the market to be a free storehouse. 

Gen. Volkov

I think we might need a combination of those. Like the food decaying and troop upkeep, plus increasing market tax on pulls and on sales. The tax on sales is to hinder the market passing strat, it shouldn't hurt Indies who are just straight selling troops. Also probably decrease the amount of food you can stick on the market. If all of that doesn't fix it, then maybe consider combining mercs and market. I like keeping them separate.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Shadow

I think of the new features introduced in 3.0 the market changes were probably the best ones. They addressed all these issues ^_^.  The solution there was no pulls, but you could sell your marketed goods to mercs at at any time.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Forgot about that! 
Could probably bring the changes over fairly easily as well.. 

Gen. Volkov

Yeah, that's also an option.

windhound

Additional note, by request I've added a countdown timer to the top of the page where Game News was
I think it's accurate, will verify later. 

Shadow

Quote from: windhound on January 01, 2018, 11:51:14 AM
Forgot about that! 
Could probably bring the changes over fairly easily as well..
It shouldn't be hard. There's some statistics gathering that might not port over without making a new table for it in the DB, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Juska

Shadow, why do you have a Nidorino as your avatar?
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19