Server change, slight downtime upcoming

Started by windhound, June 27, 2018, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

Hey guys, we've squatted on Peace's hosting for a number of years now. 
I offered to transfer RWL to my shared hosting plan (same company, ASO, so same excellent uptime) and he agreed. 

I'll start the process on July 1st after the game server reset. 
Game signups will be off and I'll put the forum in maintenance mode.  Then back everything up, restore it, then update the domain info so redwallwarlords.com points to my server. 
Domain name propagation can take anywhere from a couple hours to a week, but usually within a day or so. 

I'll leave the RWL copy on Peace's server closed in maintenance mode and re-open the copy on my server. 
Should be zero data loss. 

I've got a couple other websites on my hosting plan, so again RWL isn't in any real danger of going away. 
So long as people want to hang out here we'll keep the lights on. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Holby

Thanks for being wonderful, windy.   :D

It's comforting to know RWL is still going to be here.

I will not deleted this

Uiblis

<3

planning on being around next round

also can you link me somewhere I can throw money at you
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

windhound

Forgot how long domain names can take to transfer, might have to push this out a week.. 
We'll see, it'd be nice to do a clean break with the game. 

And thanks Holbs, Uiblis

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket I recommend donating to the EFF or your local animal shelter. 
One of the websites I manage pays me enough to cover hosting, so no worries. 
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

windhound

austfit

all good windy thanks for all you've done

Wolf Snare

I missed this post before the crash. What a traumatic experience that was. Thanks for being so amazing windy! Also thank goes to Peace Alliance for paying hosting fees all of these years. You're not likely to read this anytime soon, but we do appreciate everything you've done. And that goes for all of the staff, yes even Shadow. Thanks for all of the effort and time each and every one of you have put into this game and  community. We really do appreciate it!

Who remembers being back on rovl.org? So many memories here at RWL.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

austfit

I remember ROVL! I tried making an account on VI, the Vulpine Imperium, but for some reason the code doesn't allow me to get Guilders and you get a landlubber tax so I just had to sit there and watch my savings drip away. Depressing. Very glad this game is still around.

The Lady Shael

I was wondering how VI was doing, I saw the site was still up but I can never remember my passwords. I've made probably like 6 different Shael Varonne accounts there, each with a different middle initial.

I was wondering how many Redwall sites are even still active out there. I think the redwall.org forums are still active, but besides that, not sure. And I've been following this Facebook page for a Redwall game (https://www.facebook.com/RedwallGame/) and they post pretty regularly but not sure if they have much of a community.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Krowdon

Tumblr has a very active Redwall community, and in fact I run a Redwall Blog there. I was one of the first Redwall exclusive blogs on there.

For a month every year I do a charity fundraiser in honor of Brian Jacques birthday, and do little community activities and all that fun stuff. This was my third year doing it and we never quite reach our goal but it's fun and I like doing it.

Other than that I share Redwall and Redwall related content, and produce some of my own.

Edit: I also have a Redwall Discord chat.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

windhound

'think Dibbuns Against Bedtime is trying to limp along still.
And there's a not-super-active Redwall subreddit, /r/eulalia
Skimming it I saw Caltorain's account, but didn't recognize anyone else..
'course, I really only hung out here, and RWL was always sorta on the fringe of the ROC.

RWL started life on xepher.net, then moved to iboze.com, then rovl, and finally our current domain.
Host wise we've had a couple different server moves, but most wouldn't realize..  still remember when BlueHost's server failed for days because it was running a maintenance script and one of the other users of the shared host had millions of small files it was crunching through or something.
Peace said recently our current host, ASO, was bought out and their customer service has gone to poo (which is a part of the recent downtime).  's a shame..

That's pretty neat Krowdon

windhound

Alright, so the domain issues are fully sorted (yay)
Planning on moving servers this Friday at 8pm.
I'll disable the game and put the forum in maintenance mode.

Because we're both ASO customers the downtime should be 4 - 6hrs, or so I've been told.
The main DNS entry for the domain isn't changing, so it's just waiting for ASO's stuff to update.

In theory the site should never be down, but you know how that goes.

windhound

Alright guys, done. 
Shouldn't have any more downtime for the foreseeable future. 

RWL is now on my ASO hosting account, I think I fixed all the little gremlins that come with changing hosts but there's probably something lurking..  lemme know if you see something weird. 
Just chased a typo for an hour, the joys of reviewing stuff you wrote a decade ago :P

Durza

Only small thing of note is the "missing"(?) link to forum that was once in the top right corner
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts