Favorite Memories of RWL?

Started by austfit, August 08, 2018, 01:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austfit

Some of my top memories...

1. Traveling to England to meet up with AdTheRat who I met on this site
2. FaF clan battles where we all fought to the death each round
3. Creating dynastic clans and arranging politics through AOL Instant Messenger, then MSN Messenger, then, for a hot second, Yahoo!, which died out as quickly as it came
4. Learning the hilarious joy of only growing food and being sacked all the time (Happy Pony Raising? Was that what that was?)
5. Role playing, but 13-year old me always maintaining I was the hero and never dying or being wounded or losing or being wrong and having a BLAST

What are yours?

The Lady Shael

It's weird to think about how long ago these memories happened.

- becoming Empress and being a part of the First Era where no one knew what they were doing
- becoming a RWL admin
- our RWL AIM chats
- designing and coding the Turbo themed rounds, like Pearls of Lutra and storehouse. Honestly one of my favorite things was coming up with new ideas for features (like the clan forums, Espionages, or Emperors page) and hearing about how they enhanced people's gameplay experience. A very rewarding feeling.  :)
- all the various RWL revivals over the years. While the "golden era" of RWL was probably within the first couple years, it was amazing how RWL still experienced surges of activity, like around 2009-2012.
- I think in the middle of one of those RWL revivals I gave out Turbo round awards, like Best Newbie, Most Improved, Best Veteran, etc. I had a lot of fun watching those rounds closely to determine who should win those awards.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

calria

Definite #1: Almost marrying AbbyTheRat <3
#2: Harassing everyone for SPAG
#3: ...idk but looking back on my old posts, I was kind of a jerk in high school  :o

Krowdon

Okay uhh,,,

1. Joining my first clan, VixenClan, which would eventually become Empire of the Phoenix, which I was in for YEARS.
2. Shenanigans on the forums with the Redwall Spamlords. Special shout out to Briar, Night Wolf, and Ungatt!!
3. When we used to do April Fools jokes on here, like changing the theme of the game or the word filters.
4. That y'all let me run the twitter account which I admit I have been slacking on but doing better lately.
5. When several of us had mod powers in spa and just kept deleting/merging things.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Gorak

More Necro 'cause me

Coming over from Valhall to mess with the playerbase, only to stay because I liked the community here better.
Taking down a powerful emperor just to prove it could be done, then turning around and helping create the most powerful emperor in the history of the server.
Running full blown propaganda campaigns in Reg forums.
When full blown clan wars were a thing.
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Shadow

Emperor Holby was a good time. If it's possible to "beat" this game, I'd say that's the closest anyone has ever come.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Holby

Quote from: Shadow on November 07, 2018, 02:10:44 PM
Emperor Holby was a good time. If it's possible to "beat" this game, I'd say that's the closest anyone has ever come.
:-*

That was so fun! I miss the MSN chats the most :(

For me, it's always going to be League, and the 3-6 hour runs. It's funny to think that "revival" was 11 years ago, and I still see it as new generation RWL!

Quote2. FaF clan battles where we all fought to the death each round

Do you mean Duels? I loved Duels so much. I benefited from timezone differences to make elaborate kill runs when everyone else was asleep. I won something like 6 rounds in a row.
I will not deleted this

Shadow

League was very fun. I think that was my induction into the oldbie club.

bjornredtail

Semi-accidently being the first to play the first round. :)

Learning the basics of web backend in PHP.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Firetooth

The rivalries with the Sevz and Snare gang. Most of the best and most coordinated teams I've been in were set up basically solely to stop those guys winning (or shut down the old reg server, but that was never that fun).
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sevz

Quote from: Shadow on November 07, 2018, 02:10:44 PM
That was a great run. Emp Holby stole my strategy and got the entire game to join the cause. I basically taught diplomats advanced war and then one day there was 3 full clans who ruled the game.
I was idled out into vacation and missed some of the process but Peace Alliance tricked me into logging on so I did. Suddenly all my cash was getting stolen and I see the kingdom of all kingdoms. Emperor Holby was awesome. Certainly the best victory that I was against.

My favorite memories were in the first 3 rounds that I played here. I didn't know what anything was called and had to figure it out. Nobody bothered me in the first 20days. Figured out how to build cash with leaders and quietly won my first round.
Second round I didn't get many hassles until I ran into Snare and his buddy. They seen me winning and Snare started his tough talk on me.  ;) ;) ;)
Big mistake. By the second round I knew what all the buttons were and embraced my first war. I was from the original code so adapting to redwall was an effortless transition. Poor Snare was the first to run into Warlord Sevz.
I think Round 3 was a networth race between myself and the incredible Wolf Bite. That was close but I won again by a few million networth and earned my place here.

My favorite memories are battling everyone Redwall has to offer and taking their crowns. Ereptor. Volk. Firetooth. Peace Alliance. Checkerpaw. WolfBite. Shadow. Windhound. Shael. Briar. Kilkenny. Snare. Holby and his lady. Gorak. And all the rest.
There have been many quality players here but it's no accident that I've got the most victories in redwall history by a massive margin. From 300 rounds I've won probably 130 of them and given friends 40.

Next round I'll make a clan. The biggest clan possible. Join team Sevz. Together we can create records.
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Sevz on August 24, 2019, 08:12:46 PM
From 300 rounds I've won probably 130 of them and given friends 40.

But that's just not true, is it Sevah?

RWL has been online for around 20 years, so if there were a new Turbo round every month, that would mean a total of 240 rounds.

The actual figure is lower though, because Turbo has been using 3 month rounds for what, the last 2 years? And even before then, I think there may have been some special rounds that lasted a bit longer.

This is excluding the fact that I don't think you even played for the first 10 years that RWL was around.

Shadow

Gen. Volkov

Favorite memory of RWL was definitely League and the 5 hour clan runs we used to do. Emperor Holby was pretty fun too, though mostly my job was to keep all the rest of you guys suppressed so Holby was free to gain net. Guess I've been AFK for a bit, lots of new stuff on the forum. I see you've all been letting Sevah get a big head in my absence. :P

Quote from: SevzEmp Holby stole my strategy and got the entire game to join the cause.

LOL, no.

Quote from: Sevz
My favorite memories are battling everyone Redwall has to offer and taking their crowns. Ereptor. Volk. Firetooth. Peace Alliance. Checkerpaw. WolfBite. Shadow. Windhound. Shael. Briar. Kilkenny. Snare. Holby and his lady. Gorak. And all the rest.
There have been many quality players here but it's no accident that I've got the most victories in redwall history by a massive margin. From 300 rounds I've won probably 130 of them and given friends 40.

LMAO, also no.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Briar

Quote from: Sevz

I'm honored to be included in this list. I have never considered myself a top shelf player.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?