What a joke.

Started by West, March 25, 2021, 04:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West

Guys, Absolutely ridiculous.

Charlie Zelenoff at 1 land. I get the message, "Watcha Tryin to do? Kill'em? Sorry, not currently allowed"

Absolute waste of time? What's the endgame of this promisance here? See who can hord most troops on the market? What is the use of having clans? Just to make landgrabs easy?

If your afraid people will not play again if they are killed in game, get more players.

Ridiculous.

windhound

Yeah..  I posted in the forum chat when I glanced at the scores page and saw yall had him down to a few acres   

Kills were disabled a few years ago because someone was bored and killing newbies. 
So we took the blunt axe approach and just disabled kills.   

I can think of a few different ways to remedy, again noone has tried for a kill in a while so it hasn't come up.
I'm open to revisiting. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

BamBam

Hey West, you bloodthirsty son of a gun. 16 years...nothing changed. Try to build bridges, burns them all down. The point is to time it, wait for it, feeeeeeeel it. Not gang up on an oiled up goblin tied to a bed.

Scorpion

duck this

Scorpion

Quote from: windhound on March 25, 2021, 04:48:01 PM
I can think of a few different ways to remedy, again noone has tried for a kill in a while so it hasn't come up.
I'm open to revisiting.

good.

windhound

Quote from: Scorpion on March 25, 2021, 04:49:23 PM
[wash my mouth out!!!] this
I was also planning to revisit the word filter
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Scorpion

West

Hi Windhound, thanks for your quick response.

Nutshell; Someone can only be killed when in a clan. Also, if someone does not have a sufficient amount of loyalty saved up, killing someone is next to impossible. I had Scorpion send me loyalty in order to heal, after my run I only had approx 100 turns left. Which means that if I had to loot or scoot or forage to get health up, it would not have been enough.

To remedy this, perhaps make grabs under 500 50% more difficult. That would mean you would require at least to people actively hitting in order to kill.

Still I think killing someone that is clanned "needs" to be possible. That's the risk of being clanned and having the benefit of indef. landgrabs, aiding etc.

Anyway. hope a dialogue can be opened. At least we know Dark and Charlie would have been killed ;)

windhound

Quote from: West on March 25, 2021, 04:57:13 PM

Nutshell; Someone can only be killed when in a clan. Also, if someone does not have a sufficient amount of loyalty saved up, killing someone is next to impossible. I had Scorpion send me loyalty in order to heal, after my run I only had approx 100 turns left. Which means that if I had to loot or scoot or forage to get health up, it would not have been enough.

To remedy this, perhaps make grabs under 500 50% more difficult. That would mean you would require at least to people actively hitting in order to kill.

Still I think killing someone that is clanned "needs" to be possible. That's the risk of being clanned and having the benefit of indef. landgrabs, aiding etc.

Anyway. hope a dialogue can be opened. At least we know Dark and Charlie would have been killed ;)

Agreed, the problem at the time was a few members were running a training clan with a group of newbies, which was needed to get around the aid credit restrictions and it was nice for them to be grouped together.   
Then someone got bored and started shooting fish in a barrel. 

tbh kill runs become pretty easy with three+ players, 's how they were typically coordinated in the past.  No need for extra loyalty, just hand off the torch. 

We have 'Standards under 500' coded in, I don't remember why it was turned off. 
It forces you to use Standard (all unit) attacks on empires under 500 acres, this would have made your kill runs today significantly more difficult, unless I'm mistaken on Ryu's net makeup (I haven't looked as I have a playing account this round).     

If most of yall want kills re-enabled, with or without 'Standards under 500', I don't mind.     

Quote from: Scorpion on March 25, 2021, 04:57:04 PM
Quote from: windhound on March 25, 2021, 04:56:27 PM

just remove it

Naaah, we aint an oldschool promi, I saw those old boards. 
Went through real quick and just made some quick adjustments, it's just not as in-your-face now.   

Scorpion

Quote from: windhound on March 25, 2021, 05:19:07 PM
Quote from: West on March 25, 2021, 04:57:13 PM

Agreed, the problem at the time was a few members were running a training clan with a group of newbies, which was needed to get around the aid credit restrictions and it was nice for them to be grouped together.   
Then someone got bored and started shooting fish in a barrel. 

tbh kill runs become pretty easy with three+ players, 's how they were typically coordinated in the past.  No need for extra loyalty, just hand off the torch. 

We have 'Standards under 500' coded in, I don't remember why it was turned off. 
It forces you to use Standard (all unit) attacks on empires under 500 acres, this would have made your kill runs today significantly more difficult, unless I'm mistaken on Ryu's net makeup (I haven't looked as I have a playing account this round).     

If most of yall want kills re-enabled, with or without 'Standards under 500', I don't mind.     

Quote from: Scorpion on March 25, 2021, 04:57:04 PM
Quote from: windhound on March 25, 2021, 04:56:27 PM

just remove it

Naaah, we aint an oldschool promi, I saw those old boards. 
Went through real quick and just made some quick adjustments, it's just not as in-your-face now.

Should be fair to make killing not to easy, but standard attacks below 500 lands is a pretty crappy option. It would make indy's, or even worse; aiding indy's- near-impossible to kill. at least a to much of an investment.

Maybe get more old skool to get more active players. In addition; communication is very much decided on how someone receives communication. Nobody was born a p*ssy..

Ryu

The 500 restriction was removed when Me and Shoot figured out we could turtle networth on a 499 acre empire making them impervious to sack and leader attacks. A literal bank of resources that could not feasibly be assaulted even with leader suicides thanks to 22 hitlimit. It was possible to surprise attack with sack but we kept 100-200 million weasels to make it unprofitable.

I agree kills should be enabled. Otherwise there is no deterrent for market hording as me and Gier are doing this current round.

windhound

Yeah I remember that now.   
Thanks for that. 

Will enable kills next round, yall be nice tho

Also, zero interest in operating an oldschool style promi server.       
If yall want one I'd be happy to help with the setup, webhosts are dirt cheap these days. 

JesterAverageJoe

I'd honestly thought kills were a thing of the past; not sure how beneficial the mechanic actually is with our player base being as small as it is. I could definitely see it adding real stakes to the game, if the sort of Emperor usurping, Net min-maxing feels tired to ya'll. However, for those of us more "casual" players, & especially for brand new, prospective players, I'd wish that we would exercise caution. That or make the "Painted One" invulnerable to outright kills, given that that's supposed to be sort of the Noob race anyhow.
I think that if kills were to reimplemented, that the Attacker/Stamina would be better suited in lieu of the sort of "Max Attacks" on a given defender.

Funny I was hoping for some more dialogue herein... turns out today's very exciting :P
Quite.

Gier

It is a good thing people are finally clanning up and coordinating. It is the first time that's happening since I started playing here a few years ago. Bringing back kills would unbalance the current game's state in favor of the solo leader strategies. That got kind of boring, to be honest.

Just sit back, hold your jaw and enjoy the show for now.

windhound

Oh absolutely, all it's going to do is bring back clan hopping and likely more solo-play.     

I considered a few different protections including preventing killing those who have made <100 attacks, but they're all gamable.  A race that can't be killed would just be used as a storehouse. 

We can turn kills back on for a round, but it will cause a rebalancing.