"Nothing is Impossible!" Revisited

Started by Vengerak, July 08, 2003, 03:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abby The Rat

Quote from: Ashyra NightwingJust thinking about this makes my brain want to explode...

Nothing is impossible.
well, if nothing was impossible, that means everthing was possible then it be possible to have something impossible. That means it's impossible so it can't be true that nothing is impossible.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

Almkman

Ad your saying everything is possible.Then you said something can be impossible.Pick one side or the other.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

Pikepaw

No Almkman.  If everything was possible, then that would even mean that there could be something impossible.  It would be possible for something to be impossible; it is hard to explain.
Never muck with me because I'm a Canadian mercenary
Pikepaw has returned! He has become more evil! But I am back, to rule all and destroy the Earth!
If you knock me down, I'll get back up and knock you down, then I'll chase you with my torch and pitchfork and big club thingy.
In the words of the wise barbeast: "Yer true friends stick up fer ya! Yer best pals pay fer ya!" After this, the barbeast fell over drunk, after his last words of wisedom.

Abby The Rat

It's impossible to have an  exact of opposite of this universe, for all that was good would be evil and all that was evil would be good and therefore all good people would do evil and all evil people would be doing good. Therefore the good would be doing evil that was really good and the evil would be doing good that was really evil. But if everything is posssible then it would be possible to have an exact opposite but that's mean that nothing is possible because everything is impossible. That mean it's impossible to have an exact opposite..

HOW THAT....
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

RazorClaw

Ad, you need to be my translator. Blackeyes can be a penguin translator, but I need one outright. *sends out application forms*

Almkman

If Everything is possible then how can one thing can be impossible?That makes no sense Pikepaw.
Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
     And songs to Alma Mater raise
  While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
   Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
  Time and change will surely show
   How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

TS/RULES!

The only one who makes sense here is Ad.  

If nothing is impossble, it has to be possible for something to be impossble if not, not everything is possible.    

Are any synomyns for possible?
If only I was a Mario... I could Jump on bullies, Use Yoshi to spit random fruit juices at them, and basically beat the crap out of them...

Aqualis

If everything is possible then impossibility would not exist, therefore making this entire topic a moot point.

*solves the mystery of the universe*If impossibilty does not exist then it is possible for a human to fly. That means also that all of science is useless except to contradict itself forever. Knowledge is beyond the human grasp, we may know stuff but we have no knowledge of what the true boundries of anything are.

This could also lead us to believe that the universe has a starting point, but spreads on forever in all directions. This leads us to believe that the universe is independant of space and time, for to move in all directions means to move beyond time. Space can not limit what goes on forever. But if something goes on forever, space infinitly expands. Therefore, theuniverse is independant of space and time, but expands infinitly in all directions, forever expanding the amount of space present at any given moment.

The human race has no knowledge of what limits the universe, if the everything were to be possible the universe must have a starting point. This leads to the idea of a sphere. But this is not possible, for the sphere would have to pass through itself and infinite number of times. There is no other comprehensible shape that the universe could be. Therefore the universe is shapless.

The secrets of the universe:

1.Impossiblity is non-existant and
2.The universe is shapeless.

Now you can go through all this and tell me what I did wrong.

[Edit: I wish to draw attention to the fact that only the first sentence in this topic is serious, and that the rest is nothing more than my insane ramblings. Thank you.]
"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

The Beatles

The first line is me and Raine's argument. It works beautifully in theory, but I am increasingly coming to the view that it fails miserably in practice. Ex. it is not possible to throw a 7 on a six-sided die that does not have a 7 on it. Oh well. Paradice-a-plenty.

As for the rest, it is all assumptions and deductions from mostly incorrect or irrelevant presumptions, so, as Henry Ford famously said, "bunk".

~Beatles

JestahMunkee

ahhhhh....*cracks knuckles*okee..*dusts off account- half-reads the half page of replys and scrolls through the page and a half of sigs and blantantly annoying bandwith consumation*Has this fourm hath no sig limit?

anyways...I barely read the abuse of the word probably and impossable and possable.
Nothing is scared. Nothing is true, everything is permitted. Only the thoughts in your own head hold you back. There is no good, no evil, just a diffrent preseption, a differing goal. While there is crulety and justace, there is not defined good or evil. No right an wrong. *taps head* it's all just your conceptions. Your notions. You make your own morals or adopt someone elses. Don't worry so much, relax, nothing is impossable, just hightly improbable. Take deep breaths, don't work too hard. Cuz as they say- in the end, everything tastes like chicken, and chicken, tastes good.

And time is money, money is the root of all evil, evil is corruption, power corrupts, therefor, time is non-existant and to measure such a thing is just a fool hardy attempt to pretend to control anything.

And as for humans flying- we can't be cause we're told at an early age that we can't-so any hope of it is crushed and finding a way to fly without mechanical aid is hindered. Every cop is a crimminal, and all the sinners are saints.

Life is just one big, long unexplainable contraditcion, don't question it, live it.

And thusly I've spoken in my inproper english. Fear and gr0r...Happy thoughts! ^^

(and this guy; :P ; STILL looks like he's wearing a thong. And you telling me Im off topic is off topic)
*Scree!*
*Lick Meee~!*
--I am not the muffin pope!--

The Beatles

Darn you misleading, misbegotten Douglas Adams twisting, ebil anarchists!
That is a misleading, anarchistic, pardon the expression, pack of lies.
I never agreed with Carpe Diem, but you twist it into an even more frightening and horrible shape!
This kind of thinking is the thinking that encourages all kinds of immorality and evil.
Life is not a contradiction. Surreal, even, at times, but not a contradiction. There are those who say, it's too complicated. And there are those who say, it's not good by my logic, but I can understand their logic. If you look at it that way it makes much more sense.
Life and chicken.... read on.

I hope you were jesting. In that case, get lost. This is not a jesting matter, and it can be misleading.
Otherwise, retract that. There is no 'OR'. If you have any decency, retract that. If not, then I hope everybody shares my opinion on that post.

~The Vehement Beatles

The Mercenary

This is merely a play and twisting of words. The examples people are giving are actually foolish, there are obviously limitations in this world. Sure, Vengerak, you can twist the statement to make it work, but it is merely words not truth.

Vengerak

What I am saying is that I myself do not believe that "Nothing is impossible!" or that "Everything is possible!". That's nonsense.  However, it is very hard to argue this with visionaries & idealists, who can throw up anything from "Yeah, but if there's a Creator-" to the concept of doublethink.

It is very hard to disprove anything, what with the only real truth being the whole "I think therefore I am." spiel, so I have resorted to the use of a simple logic paradox. The bones of my argument will be displayed in bold:

If everything is possible, then it MUST be possible for there to be things that are impossible. Otherwise, it is not possible for something to be impossible. That, in itself, presents an impossibility, &  blows the statement apart.

You see? Impossibility itself is a THING. If it is not possible for impossible things to exist, then not everything is possible. "Everything is possible!" is a self-destructive statement, something of an oxymoron, if you will, because it implies that impossibility must exist. If it does not, well, there's your impossibility.

JestahMunkee

QuoteI hope you were jesting. In that case, get lost. This is not a jesting matter, and it can be misleading.
Otherwise, retract that. There is no 'OR'. If you have any decency, retract that. If not, then I hope everybody shares my opinion on that post.
Really, im crying on the inside...you can feel it, yes?
My name might be Jester, but I ain't joshin'. Or maybe I was....somewhere here and there..like most oft, and I shall not "get lost", for I can't be lost, anywhere you are, is where you are. And I, above all, do not retact that post, that is like asking the pope to retract his belife in God. I mearly would request it to multiply it's self threefold, dispite the jokeingly "skathing" comments left by fourm goer Pikepaw in my guestbook on my personal site which has nothing really to do with redwall or anyof my posts on this fourm, but, I mean, how could one /possably/ realize that? Twice even?
(and Im well aware that Im just inviting trouble)
But, more to the point, wether you agree or disagree with my views gives you no right to censor them, or to make me admit that I am, in anyway, wrong. This /is/ a disscussion, isn't it? Maybe even so far to go as a debate. Last I checked, unless it's factually incorrect, your allowed to stand by your statment, dispite opposition. And I shall stand my ground with my near-incoherant, sarcasam-laiden, grammaricly inncorrect opinons and slash or belifes until I find something I feel is more correct. And I apologize if that is not what you are trying to do and I meerly misinterpreted it.

more-to-the-point-of-this-topic; I shall just leave myself as "Nothing is impossable, just hightly improbable"  perfect blanket-statment if you ask me..
*Scree!*
*Lick Meee~!*
--I am not the muffin pope!--

The Lady Shael

I extremely regret ever saying that nothing was impossible in that topic a long time ago. *sigh* My BRAIN has a headache now from reading this...I wish I could find that topic, I can't remember if it was on this forum or the old one, I can't remember the statements I used to contradict Raine's...

Winning a logical argument with Raine - Impossible...heh ^_~

So....let's start another argument, like the last topic, to have several going on at once...(on that last topic, there were about 15 at the same time)

So was it the chicken? *drumroll* Or the egg which came first? *cricket chirp*

[EDIT] *points* Raine has 237 posts.....that was his first warlord number for those who are confused.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.