It would be worth your while

Started by Burninate, December 15, 2003, 04:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

Pardon me, if I had somehow known that was what you wanted, I would've done something to make your stay at RWL all the more pleasant. I can't notice everything wrong with the forums, but if you messaged me about it, like all the other happy little people who posted in this topic do, I assure you I would've done something about it, those are trivial things.

If you don't like the avatar size limit, I don't know that, so I can't do anything about it. Everyone else has caught onto the idea of "Ask and you shall receive."

[EDIT]

Reply to Aden's: There's another thing. When admins tried to make the forums better for y'all, all you did was complain about what we were doing. And now you're complaining about us doing nothing.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Menatus

QuoteMaybe give someone like Ereptor, Peace, or Beatles a try.

Perhaps Raine?

While these people would be good, Raine and Peace Alliance couldn't happen, as Peace doesn't come around much, and Raine only once in a happy blue moon.

Of course, I'd lurve to see John an admin, but alas it can't be, as I don't see that happening any time soon. Stormy banned him a few times, too. :)

I don't know about Ereptor, he doesn't like me very much.

~>John<~

errrrr.................what? Specify what John.
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Burninate

To me, it appears some people are thinking the reasons why this topic was brought about and know them, yet don't believe it necessary to bring them up /again/. While others persist on challenging the topic. Doesn't work too well.
Let me point out just a few thing we should know already know for those who don't:

What Ad did in closing the forum was wrong. As a rule, he puts his emotions ahead of his duty to RWL too often. Why people continuously defend him as an admin I don't understand. Ad is a nice person, always willing to talk openly. However, his actions as an admin do little good. He closes topics he doesn't want to deal with, doesn't act when he has to, and over these last couple of months I have found it hard to get him to perform simple, required duties.

Shael generally is a fantastic mod. She mods. She mods well. She mods to please.
As an admin, however, she (like Ad) does not do what needs to be done by all on the administration team: Treat everyone equally.
If we turn to what happened with Peace and Wolf Bite, Shael did not act on it until there was simply no other choice. Neither did Ad. As a matter of fact, no-one did. This was wrong, however, when she had to do something, it was to ask the forums what to do.
Shael tries to be a crowd-pleaser, for everyone to like her. Heck, I like Shael, too. But we need people in such an important role to treat everyone fairly, to keep the forums in a decent state, and not be afraid to make decisions what will affect their popularity.

Retto is ok with me, but one person alone can't keep things in shape.
The other admins aren't around, they need not be mentioned.

In this post, I think I touched something I've spoken about often- favouritsm. Whether it be in regards to newbs, groups, clans, or the best players, it is something that affects us negatively. And it has to be stopped. It was a major reason I left these forums.
It is killing this place, to be entirely truthful. People say that there is no point being negative, that it makes things worse. But the first step to fixing a problem is finding it and admitting it. I've seen less and less posts each day, very, very few with anything worthwhile in them.
Those of us who joined early on were lucky. We were the first, so we were accepted. We formed a little group, and when new people joined, we weren't really too crash-hot on that. Things were nice as they were. So we were mean to them. I don't know how conscious we were of that, but it was true. We would criticise the new clan, make fun, or complain about their poor spelling and grammar skills.
And when finally we would start to accept that lot, those hurt and battered would begin on those who joined after them. This formed a continuous chain that has never ceased. We still don't treat new people very well, we still like our ole RWL and memories. But this is wrong, it is the major factor in our boads dying. If we had an admin who could try and fix that while still doing what has to be done, this would be a much better place for everyone, not just for the in group and beginners.

I know I have said somehting along the lines of this before, but people seem to forget. Remember this time.

-Holby
~Veranor, The Beatles, Nevadacow, Devari~
Dear Forums,
This happened once before,
When I came to your door,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
They said you were not home,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

?Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world..."

The Lady Shael

Can you give specific examples of recent favoritism?  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Burninate

Also, Aden:
1. you don't visit here much
2. the boards are obviously not doing well: look at all the people leaving, the flame wars, Ad closing it down...

~Beatles

[edit]Shael, he just did... Instead of blindly defending yourself, listen to us.
~Veranor, The Beatles, Nevadacow, Devari~
Dear Forums,
This happened once before,
When I came to your door,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
They said you were not home,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

?Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world..."

Aden

Just because I don't post doesn't mean I don't visit much. I visit the forums everyday to see what silly argument or what silly post has been posted in the forums.  :rolleyes:  Thank you for the misinformation, Beatles.
I never said the board was doing well. I just said that is what it will seem like when the admins do nothing.
Woodren Swiftsword, former leader of the Mossflower Liberation Army
May 20, 1999 - May 20, 2001

RedCon

The Lady Shael

What? I'm not "blindly defending myself". It was an honest question. It's not that I didn't think there wasn't any favoritism going on, I just wanted a recent example. If you meant the Peace/Wolf Bite problem, can you explain to me how that shows favoritism? Yes, exasperating, I know, I'm stupid.

Sheesh, I just try to give you a chance to explain your side of the story a little more, and you jump on me.

Aden

From what I've seen, most of the problems on these forums have been between the members. There's much hostility here(i.e. this thread). What do you want the admins to do? Force members to be nice to each other?

RedCon

Dixie Ros?

I'd like to help in some way...

user posted image

"I love you, Retto! And I don't even have a plushie fixation! Aren't you relieved?"
 "Sarah! That was so uncalled for! *grumbles in a threating way*"
"*huggles a Retto plushie secretively*"

Holby

Quote from: The Lady ShaelCan you give specific examples of recent favoritism?
How recent would you like? How about yesterday, when Ad closed the forums because Cal was offended.
I was offended when I was Angrod and people verbally attacked me because I was a new player. He didn't close the forums for me.
I was offended when wolf was made to look like the bad guy in the peace and wolf thing. Did he close the forums for me?
I'm sure you were hurt over the same subject, did he close them for you?
I will not deleted this

Aden

As for Ad, I think his emotions got the better of him. It's good that he's taking off the admin job for right now, because his emotions were affecting his actions. He is a very emotional person.
As for other actions by admins, it does look like the less-established members are on a short leash.

RedCon

Dixie Ros?

I'm a new member, and I'm not on any leash. It's how you act that desides how the admin respond.

*sighes quietly*

We need mods, not admin.

*goes back to rocking on her heels*
user posted image

"I love you, Retto! And I don't even have a plushie fixation! Aren't you relieved?"
 "Sarah! That was so uncalled for! *grumbles in a threating way*"
"*huggles a Retto plushie secretively*"

Aden

That's why I didn't say "new members." There can be old members that still haven't established a good reputation with others. Tip for admins: Be consistent.

RedCon

Riverpaw

Ahem. You dare destroy my vacation from RWL to do homework? (Okay, not vacation, torture.) Well, for one, I think the admins do a great job. Boze and Stormy work on the coding. Just because they don't come around every so often banning members doesn't mean they aren't active. I'll tell you what, try AIM-ing one of them. You'll find them to be very responsive. (Okay, that applies to Ad at the very least, but I assume tit goes for the others as well.) Shael mods a lot. So what? She helps to keep the forums clean. Besides, what exactly do you consider an "admin action"? Anyhow, don't say anything about Ad and Retto. Try getting to know them in-game first. As for emotions, that's a good thing.
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.