The truth about Canada

Started by ~>John<~, March 31, 2004, 09:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

Wow.. people with only a modicum of knowledge about history arguing passionately over something that would never happen in the first place. This is hilarious. However, I do suggest you all do a little fact checking, Austin's post was the closest to spot on.. but even he is a little off the mark. I would love to explain all of it.. but the post would be too darn long. Suffice to say, Canada had nowhere near the involvment that America did in any of the wars mentioned, and the Allies would have definitely lost the Second World War if America hadn't joined in, and possibly the first as well. Also, the war of 1812 was started by Americans, but it was provoked by the British refusing to recognize our independence and impressing our sailors into the British Navy. And America did gain land in that war, the upper part of Maine, to be exact.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Juby (Tercios)

A) In the The Paris Peace Treaty of 1783(the treaty that ended the war of American Independance), America agreed to compensate the peaceful loyalists (ie the average guys who said they supported britian, not the ones that fought) who had had their entire livelyhood destroyed simply because of their beleifs by the american army, most of these loyalist still facing persecution for their left for Canada and it was agreed that the American government would give the money to the new colonies in upper canada (ontario) to help them establish themselves, and this was alot of money, however america decided never to pay, this was a reason Britian was treating america poorly because they were being deadbeats, after the war, with Status Quo Ante Bellum, the americans still didn't pay so technically with the late fee interest, you would owe us a HUGE sum of money, or we could just foreclose on your land  :P .  
B) World War I would have been won with our without the US, Germany was under huge turmoil at home and the tide had been turned on the front, Canada played a huge role in the war too, Vimy Ridge, Passchendale, battles of Ypres, the hundred days of advance, etc. etc.
C) World War II would have probably been lost without america, but it probably would have been lost even more so without Britain and the commonwealth and without Russia.  You saying that you saved is a terrible thing to say as if you were more important to the war even though you came in late.  Britain contributed more then america and was their from day one, they sacrificed the most, britain couldn't have won that without America and russia no more then america and russia could have won without Britain, it is an insult to the british commonwealth to take credit for winning that war when you put the allied forces over the top of what was necessary, it is being a glory hog and disgraces the memory of the Commonwealth soldiers.

John, how do you like these factually based jokes:
What's the difference between Americans and the everyone else in the World?
About 250 pounds (an estimated 58% (that's so high it sounds fake but is actually true) of americans suffer from obeseity)
A real life story, completely accurate:
An american warships messages Canada, "Canadian ship, we are on a collision course, change your course by at least 5 degrees" "American ship, we cannot comply, you must change your course be- (interrupted)" " Canadian ship, Change your Course NOW" "American Ship, YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR COURSE, WE-"  "CANADIAN SHIP, WE WILL USE PHYSICAL FORCE IF YOU DO NOT CHANGE YOUR COURSE" "*laughs* Use all the force you want, but you should know, this is a lighthouse"
that happened only a few years ago
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

Myrhakel

Quote(clears throat)
Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister,
not a President.
I speak English and French,
NOT American.
and I pronouce it ABOUT,
NOT A BOOT.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT,
A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

I AM CANADIAN!

I think that just about sums it up. :D

Look at past history, for four centuries Canada has stayed separate from the US. And it will continue to do so thank you very much.

May I remind you all that thanks to NAFTA economically there are no borders between Canada and the US? We've from being part of the French Empire, to the British Empire to a part of the American Empire. Considering the amount of American investment in Canada we don't really 'own' our country. However we are still independent politically and we have a distinctive  culture.
The man
Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

The Emperor

Thats a classic commercial, Myrakel...

Juby, what you said is exactly right. Volkov...believe or not, by saying that we have no idea what we're talking about, and then making a statement that is obviously not true, that doesn't have a good image. Plain and simple: you said: "Canada had nowhere near the involvment that America did in any of the wars mentioned." Did we not talk about World War 1, or did you just leave that out :rolleyes: Check Juby's post to see what I mean, as The U.S. just quickened the war AT THE END, the Canadians FOUGHT the war alongside Franch, Britain, and Russia (for the most part).

I think this conversation is done...
Feel the wrath of the Emperor!

user posted image

user posted image

Juska

I'm just wondering a couple things, if germany was gonna lose WWI why did america join at all? Secondly, in WWII you were just focusing on the european theater, while the us fought basically by itself in the pacific theater. The US had 2 fronts. The British had the African front I guess, but was that really a big deal? No, because Germany was on 2 fronts unlike Japan. Without the production of war machines coming from the US WWII would have been lost. I think we would have won even without the Russians though it would have taken alot longer. Had Hitler and the Nazis had the kind of prodcution the usa had Germany would have won. All in my opinion. Whats this about the US owing canada money? Lol, I'd like to see Canada try to do anything. We'd just have to shut down trade and you guys would be begging for mercy, mad-cow scares already have hurt canada alot. Or we could send like 3000 marines and whipe you out.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Juby (Tercios)

Juska, shakes head, Britain, Austrailia, and Canada (a noteable battle we fought the japanese early in the war trying to hold Hong Kong)were all active in the Pacific.  Once again you try and take all the credit.  Germany did have very advanced technology and great means of production too, USA wasn't this god awfully massive production machine, althought impressive, the main advantage they had was that they didn't have to worry about being bombed which is something Britain, Russia and Germany all had to deal with.
The Canadian armed forces are amoung the best in the world in training, one problem is our equitment is usually a little outdated but theirs a reason we makeup such a disproportionate number of the UN peace keeping
force, the UN has very high standerds for their peace keeping force.  I beleive we have a military of 100 000 - 150 000 of very well trained forces, not very impressive but 3000 troops would get ruined, and I already said i twould be easy to occupy us, read the whole topic before you post, go back and read what I wrote on the potential for guerrilla warfare.  Mad Cow hurt cattle farmers, that's about it, the economy is still very strong because we are a high tech based economy, like 50 000 of the 30 million canadians are in trouble cause of that, that's not all that much.  No one in the world would stand for America invading a country because american didn't feel like paying it's debts.
Real Betis? ? -? ? Tottenham Hotspurs? ? -? ? Partizan Beograd? ? -? ? Hannover 96

Holby

The US only joined the World Wars when they became directly affected.
It took almost three years for them to join WWI. (Entered in April 1917, began in mid 1914.) Their entry was due to Germany declaring certain areas as war zones and sinking US ships with their subs. Previously, the US was neutral. By the time they got things swinging, it was the closing months of the war. Germany was almost out of resources and men by then.

In WWII, Dec 7, 1941 was Pearl Harbour. Which you all know about, anyway. WWII began in 1939. Well over two years late.

I don't think there's so much to boast about.
I will not deleted this

Deathclaw

Quote from: Juby (Tercios)No one in the world would stand for America invading a country because american didn't feel like paying it's debts.
But you also have to think, who could stand against it, and who actually would of those countries strong enough? And of those countries, we could defeat them. We have superiority on the ground, air, and sea, with better trained forces and number superiority.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

~>John<~

Thanks Volkov, thats what I meant when I said Britain was the aggressor
Heark! For the City of God comes before us!
And so he asked, "How is a man to judge in such times as these?" and he was answered, "As he always has judged, for good and evil have not changed and the differences are as great as they have ever been."

Former Emperor

Former Member of Rome

Lereac

-cannot help but laugh-
John, your signature...  :lol: .  Yeesh, like a bunch of men who look like thugs standing around, and a particularly ugly one looking like an -censored word- pointing a finger at me is going to make me vote republican... like h-ell.

Anyway, I lived in America for about seven years.  I've lived in Canada for two years.  I like it in Canada better.  And also, why is this topic called 'The truth about Canada'?  I see no revelations of the truth here - only pointless arguments.  The fact - no, the truth is:
A.  America will NOT invade Canada, just because some smart-aleck of a boy/teenager says they should, because you know what, you're not the president .
B.  Canada may have a corrupt and stupid political system, but at least they don't have a COMPLETE disregard for civil rights.  And please, if you say Bush doesn't, just look at the PATRIOT Act and all the people who are currently being detained God knows where without any charges against them, and no legal representation.

Juby (Tercios)

when was Britain the Aggressor? In the War Of 1812 you owed us a big pile of money and then invaded us, yet britain was the agressor for searching for deserters on American ships, which happened very rarely, the principal of doing it is still wrong but a deadbeat(deadbeat as in not paying the money you owe) nation can't exactly complain about morals.
Death Claw, the world could take the US, don't exxagerate your greatness, heck, if the commonwealth rallied up for us ( http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Templates/I...sp?NodeID=20724
that's a list of member countires, Britian, India, Pakistan, Austrailia are nothing to scoff at) and We are also a member of the Francaphone "commonwealth" type thing which bring France into it and quite a few other notable nations.  Just because your the biggest, don't act like your god awfully so massive that your bigger then everyone combined, your just the biggest, a few strong countires together would match you.

Myrhakel

Quote from: DeathclawBut you also have to think, who could stand against it, and who actually would of those countries strong enough? And of those countries, we could defeat them. We have superiority on the ground, air, and sea, with better trained forces and number superiority.
*snort* America would never start a war against Canada. Starting such a war would force other countries, especially those in the Commonwealth to help defend Canada which has historically been a peaceful country. There would be a massive worldwide boycott of everything American, it wouldn't last long but it would tank your economy. Yes, there is no onecountry that could defeat the United States in a strictly military battle. But the American army is stretched as it is. To start a war against Canada would mean a massive draft and the army they?d muster wouldn?t be all that much bigger than ours. Tens of thousands of American casualties for a freezing cold lump of land. Not exactly worth it from your perspective. Anyway, the US benefits by having Canada as a separate country politically as long as it can dominate our economy.

India and Pakistan are superpowers and nuclear powers. At least one of these countries would come to our aid since many Canadians have roots from these countries. Don't underestimate what a possibly nuclear war could do to the US.  
The man
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

Juska

Actually China could beat the US in conventional war because they have such a huge population. But theres no way either China or US are going to war, because both economies are centered in each others countries. Juby, thanks for the info I didn't know the european and canadian forces fought in the Pacific. About the being bombed part. We'll the US suffered teribly from U-boat topedeoing(sp?) on our merchant vessels. I guess we didn't get bombed, but the germans could have given more time. It's amzing the tech they had, mopst of the german aerospace scientists help the US achive space flight. Too bad Hilter decided to create the master race. Secondly boycotts don't work, when have boycotts on goods significantly hurt someone? People want things there going to get them.
Current Empires:

Myrhakel

QuoteActually China could beat the US in conventional war because they have such a huge population.

Eh? How could China and the US have a conventional war except at sea where having a huge population wouldn't make a difference? Where would it take place if it was on land? Much more likely they'd fire missiles at eachother.  

QuoteWe'll the US suffered teribly from U-boat topedeoing(sp?) on our merchant vessels.

I don't understand that, sorry.

QuoteSecondly boycotts don't work, when have boycotts on goods significantly hurt someone? People want things there going to get them.

The recent American boycott of French goods was rather effective.
The man
A mechanised automaton.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

user posted image

Juska

Our merchant vessels were being sunk by german u-boats, aka submarines, and losing there cargo. Understand now? I know we'd fire missles at them, but if we actually fought we'd lose because of their huge population. Fought as in a ground war.
Current Empires: