Last Word

Started by Peace Alliance, April 18, 2004, 03:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durza

Quote from: windhound on February 04, 2019, 09:45:29 PM
Man, there's some really strange Harry Potter fan stuff out there.. 

~snip~

I will admit it got a chuckle out of me
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

windhound

I made a thing and got some internet points.  joy.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

darn, that looks great
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Cheers. 
Almost didn't post it 'cause it ended up being a dumb way to do it (a pair of side-table hinges and it would have been a 15 min, 3 step build), but I'm still happy with the way it came out. 
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Disl

Krowdon

Hope everyone is well!
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

windhound

Reasonably well. 
How's things on your end? 

Krowdon

They're okay. Just been keeping busy. Trying out a Viking historical re-enactment group, which is kinda fun. Looking for a better job, all that Jazz.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

windhound

That's something I didn't know existed. 

https://www.vinlandvikings.org/
Neat. 
Seems like more opportunities for injury than some of the civil war reenactments where they shoot blanks at each other.

Krowdon

Quote from: windhound on March 16, 2019, 08:54:34 AM
That's something I didn't know existed. 

https://www.vinlandvikings.org/
Neat. 
Seems like more opportunities for injury than some of the civil war reenactments where they shoot blanks at each other.

I'm with Jomsborg (Utland Storm) not Vinland but yeah. I get a few new bruises every time I go to practice lol. But safety is really important and we have a lot of rules. I can't use steel to fight with just yet.

windhound

Cool.  Vinland was the first Google result.
Sounds like fun.

windhound

Also, I have my bug's engine apart in my living room
Mostly new parts going back in

Picking up some parts from the machine shop on Friday, got the crankshaft, rods, and flywheel balanced. 
Amazing how simple these things are. 

Shadow

shiny

looks like a mini aircraft engine, which it probably is, more or less.

I love the old engine styles, pre computer controlled everything. Precision engineering does amazing things.

windhound

Yep, from what I understand the aircooled vw engine was inspired by aircraft engines from the 30's. 

And some smaller aircraft do run acvw engines - http://www.aeroconversions.com/products/aerovee/index.html
Some run half an engine - http://www.betterhalfvw.com/engine.htm 

It's interesting that they're running the prop off the pulley side of the engine instead of the flywheel.  Wonder what kind of life they get, the prop is going to be pulling the crank forward; plausible they added some reinforcement and a custom bearing.

Shadow

Most small aircraft engines are rated for 2000 hours of run time. You can squeeze 3000 out of some, but generally you're doing a full overhaul every 2000 hours or so.

Which is about what you'd expect from the car (assuming cruising at 100 kph), 200,000 km is around where a small fraction of cars start to die, and with good maintenance you can get more out of them. Aircraft regulations tend to be extremely conservative when it comes to reliability, so it makes sense they would call an engine "dead" pretty early compared to what it is probably capable of.

Most of the planes I have access to currently use the Lycoming O-320: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_O-320. 4 cylinders, no gears, real simple. Overhauling one of these costs about 25k.