Last Word

Started by Peace Alliance, April 18, 2004, 03:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

oof. 
Yeah, I've heard aviation parts can be super expensive..  but having engine problems in the air is a slightly bigger problem than on the ground. 

The old aircooled bug engines are good for ~100k miles, some of the more cautious do a top end rebuild at 40 - 50k.  Significantly lessens the chance of what happened to my engine, popped the head off an exhaust valve

A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

looks a bit overcooked
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Just filthy.  Engine had a lot of miles on it when I picked it up, was hoping to get 10 - 15k miles out of it but I only got 3k. 
Worked out okay though, machine shop salvaged the case (align-bore and thrust cut) and it had some good parts on it. 
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gier

Quote from: Shadow on March 21, 2019, 01:38:37 PM
Which is about what you'd expect from the car (assuming cruising at 100 kph), 200,000 km is around where a small fraction of cars start to die, and with good maintenance you can get more out of them.
That would be a very small fraction., I'd say. Every car-engine giving up at 200k km is a piece of junk, especially if it was only used for driving 100km/h.

Krowdon

I joined the forum in April 2009 I have spent a decade of my life on this website. 10 freaking years.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Shadow

Quote from: Gier on March 22, 2019, 04:14:41 AM
Quote from: Shadow on March 21, 2019, 01:38:37 PM
Which is about what you'd expect from the car (assuming cruising at 100 kph), 200,000 km is around where a small fraction of cars start to die, and with good maintenance you can get more out of them.
That would be a very small fraction., I'd say. Every car-engine giving up at 200k km is a piece of junk, especially if it was only used for driving 100km/h.

Yes - but in aviation, small fractions are too big. If your car's engine fails you coast to a stop. If your plane's engine fails, you pray you're somewhere you can land safely, or else you coast to a really, really abrupt stop. So the aviation laws preempt it by calling engines dead well before they actually are. Enforced more by insurance companies than actual law enforcement.

You can get 3000 hours of of most Lycoming engines, if you are proactive with maintenance, but their resale value drops to 0 at 2000 hours. I've never seen a Cessna engine listed past 3000, not because they fail, but because even a cheap pilot won't take that chance.

windhound

Quote from: Krowdon on March 22, 2019, 06:39:01 AM
I joined the forum in April 2009 I have spent a decade of my life on this website. 10 freaking years.

And I joined in Nov 2002
16.5 years......

Was using something similar to this at the time - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Thinkpad380ED.jpg
Hilarious the wikipedia picture for that model has a bluescreen. 
I don't miss dial up. 

On a related side note, I replaced my aging 2010 Macbook Pro with a Lenovo Legion late last year (couldn't stomach new Mac prices, holycow) and the startup time is crazy.  A couple seconds from power button to login screen.  It's basically the same as waking it up from standby. 

...on the negative side, prior to this I'd never heard of needing to redo the stock thermal paste and fiddling with core voltage on a brand new laptop to bring processor and gpu temps into a reasonable range (80-90C playing ESO, just nuts).  I got a good deal on it during one of their flash sales or I'd have sent it back. 
New thermal paste an an underclock of 1.35V and it's happily running at 65 - 75C under load. 

Shadow

2003 checking in. More than half my life now

windhound

Ungatt Trunn II

April fools, 2008.
A sperg I was and a sperg I am.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Krowdon

Happy Birthday Shadow!!
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Shadow

Thanks Krowdon!

I'm 29 this year, I guess I need to get some champagne

windhound

Happy Birthday Shads!

Durza

Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Shadow