Last Word

Started by Peace Alliance, April 18, 2004, 03:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flitchaye Warrior

Heck yeaahhhhh, I'm excited for the new show to come out. It means it'll be time to get my friends into Redwall

Krowdon

Quote from: Flitchaye Warrior on February 19, 2021, 10:15:41 AM
Heck yeaahhhhh, I'm excited for the new show to come out. It means it'll be time to get my friends into Redwall

I try so hard to get my friends into Redwall and one of them read one book but that's it :(
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

JesterAverageJoe

I figured a book would be a solid place to start~
Still keeping an eye out at the local Savers & second hand stores for at least one copy here; would make selling my friends on it via our book club that much easier :D
Quite.

Flitchaye Warrior

I've tried to get my friends to read the books before, even lending it to them but they never seem to get around to it : (

JesterAverageJoe

Over quarantine, I'm happy to say I'd been able to finish 3 books I'd been meaning to get around to; considering I tend to collect books more than I read them. But recently my friends started up a lil book club where we designate some literature, then discuss & share our thoughts on the subject matter afterwards via videochat. Just finished A Wizard of Earthsea, my most recently acquired vice, & I'm personally excited to proceed with the next part of the series, unless this next one we opt for something with more mature themes, in contrast to the episodic, highly YA oriented read that is these early works of Le Guin.

/rant
so yeah, I feel like if there's anytime to pick up a very digestible, & especially whimsical story, it's definitely now -for those of us who do want to be more well read~
Quite.

Krowdon

I want to read more and I bought a whole bunch of books and I haven't touched any of them. I'm getting another book in the mail tomorrow I know I won't touch for a while either. Makes me sad, I used to read all the time.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Flitchaye Warrior

Quote from: JesterAverageJoe on February 19, 2021, 06:39:27 PM
Over quarantine, I'm happy to say I'd been able to finish 3 books I'd been meaning to get around to; considering I tend to collect books more than I read them. But recently my friends started up a lil book club where we designate some literature, then discuss & share our thoughts on the subject matter afterwards via videochat.
-snip-
That sounds pretty cool! Makes me kind of tempted to do something like that with my friends.
Quote from: Krowdon
I want to read more and I bought a whole bunch of books and I haven't touched any of them. I'm getting another book in the mail tomorrow I know I won't touch for a while either. Makes me sad, I used to read all the time.
I feel that- I've been trying to read a couple of books over this past year and haven't made a ton of progress. Recently though I've been listening to the Mariel audiobook and it's been making me wanna read some more

Durza

Quote from: Krowdon on February 17, 2021, 10:34:18 AM
Quote from: JesterAverageJoe on February 17, 2021, 01:07:48 AM
Wait, there's an old one? & Here I am waiting around like a sucker~

Nelvana made it in the early 2000s!!! I know the whole thing used to be on youtube but it may be harder to get now that the new show is coming out.

I remember getting home from church and watching the recorded episode on a VCR tape for the week.  ::)
Anyway wcostream.com is where I would recommend, looking at the playlist right now.

Also, i now need to re-read Earthsea again...should make a nice pallet cleanser between Heinlein works
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Krowdon

I have a few of the Redwall audio books, that's a good idea actually. Audiobooks aren't usually my thing but it may be what I need right now. I love that the Redwall ones have a full cast and that they actually sing all the songs.

JesterAverageJoe

I feel like audiobooks are the sort o' thing where it's oh-so important to have a good narrating voice, say, if someone like the late, great Tony Jay had more audiobooks under his belt; I'd be all over it.

For Earthsea, this'll be my first time going through it & am otherwise happy with the first book, but I think I'm a little more excited to get through Tombs of Atuan as it seems to have some elements that we, as a group, were left wanting for: more strong female characters, & perhaps a deeper exploration of some of the territories that seem such a blur in A Wizard of Earthsea.
Any folks who've read it (or other/similar works) feel free to chime in; but do you find that the series gets better as you read it? or might there be any suggestion to jump straight up to  Tales from Earthsea, et al?
Quite.

windhound

Quote from: JesterAverageJoe on February 20, 2021, 10:49:48 PM
I feel like audiobooks are the sort o' thing where it's oh-so important to have a good narrating voice, say, if someone like the late, great Tony Jay had more audiobooks under his belt; I'd be all over it.
It is, and it's super disappointing to find that a person who did a great job on a series you just finished doesn't have any more.   

Jim Dale is another example, excellent job with all the Harry Potter books but basically nothing else. 

Audiobooks are basically how I 'read' these days..  though I listen to podcasts more often
Been meaning to track down the Discworld audiobooks, read them a long while ago and it'd be fun to return
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

Holy [poop] Alan Rickman has narrated audiobooks
https://www.audible.ca/search?searchNarrator=Alan+Rickman
I don't even care what they're about ima just listen to his voice
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

oo, neat

hard to believe it's been 5 years...
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

JesterAverageJoe

They finally had a Redwall book at my local Savers, & though I might've preferred one of the earlier titles, I figured this seemed enough like a stand-alone story to enjoy (w/o it spoiling any of the other books) as I dip my toes into the series :)
Reviews seem solid after I brought it home, & it seems a respectable number of Redditors rate it among their top 5 Redwall books~
Anybody check this one out? Any arguments as to why Taggerung is a good or a bad place to start?
Quite.

windhound

Neat. 
Best first-time read order is probably the order they were written, there's various references and callbacks you'll miss otherwise.     

But Tagg is, iirc, largely it's own tale and not a bad place to jump in.   

From what I remember Jacques didn't put a whole lot of twists in his books, everything works out more or less how you'd expect so there aren't many real 'spoilers'.   
But still fun stories, with each building out the world's lore.