Messing up the servers

Started by Retto, December 23, 2005, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenextone

think before you speak
research before you accuse

i challenge you to piss me off
you think the little hack jobs beatles has been running in the background
or adding nicknacks here and there has been a problem to your server?
i promise if you dont retract your accusation, i WILL have something done
before you weren't worth my time but if you piss me off aaron i swear to god.
i warned you five different times through your admin proxies that beatles had a bastardized form of adminship
that he was running 3rd party programs
that he was doing things that shouldn't be allowed
instead of listening you guys shrugged me off
you dug your own hole, not me-  i just played the game and that's all i did
keep on blaming the wrong people and bad things will happen

Gen. Volkov

What about Snare's maxing program? Beatles isn't the only on Josh. All the blame does not fall on Beatles. Someone is screwing with the servers, and I think I know who it is, but I will not say it until I have better proof. And I don't mean Josh. He doesn't know how to code, let alone hack.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Beatles

Quit accusing me, Josh.

Besides, this problem doesn't appear to have anything to do with any player. It's just crons, as Germania said, they're ineffectively written.

Retto, run them manually and see where the holdup is.

Dead Eye

Well the first time RWL did this, VI had a problem too. VI seems to appear fine at the moment, no complaints thus far. I don't know much about coding or anything along those lines, but I figured it was just ROVL. Seems that it isn't, and the first set of problems were not connected.

Funny how when both Josh and Beatles returns, strange things start happening. Not blaming either one, but what a funny story. Our celeb banned-keep-coming-back-pain-in-butt member comes back who is always blamed for everything, and one of our oldbies-who-stirred-things-up-and-can-code-and-such members also comes back. And the system goes nuts. No wonder you two are going to get blamed. And blame each other...  :?
Dead Eye Trueflight of the Seas, Servent to the Emperor and Empress of the Northlands<br><br><a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha' target='_blank'>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Itha</a><br><br>Spokesperson for The winter clan. <br><br>Part of the ROC since some time in October-Nov

The Beatles

Heh. Actually, it's not a coincidence.

The first batch of server problems -- before either of us were here -- caused RWL to be reset. That in turn, prompted Josh to come back, to "pwn" as it were, on a level playing field.

FAF's anniversary release on Jan. 10 merely coincided with this. You can look up the original 2005 Jan. 10 release on Sourceforge (project: faf) or at our own forums.

This second batch of problems merely appears to be inertia -- problems that aren't fixed will continue to be a pain.

wolf bite

To Josh and anyone that agrees with his last statement under ?thenextone,?

Lets all be mature about this. When people have in the past violated, or was in on others violating a server, then the odds of them being the one next time are multiplied. You have in the past admitted to be part of violations; such as I believe changed all account names to your own. Fixes have been put in since then. Beatles has also violated the program in the past. I would not be surprised if most of the programmers he hangs out with were told how. Unfortunately we have not been told how they did it and can thus not make that fix. Retto?s statement is correct in that had people not been stabbing at his program for years now we would not be having such problems.

Those people that are likely to hack are watched more closely. Checks are run on those accounts a few times a day, including recording what they presently have and seeing if there are any major discrepancies that I don?t believe their strat could produce. We can?t catch all things right away, but in the long run they are found.

I know that you and other people have reported that different people are cheating. There are about 6 people who have been reported. So what should I do, just delete any account that someone makes a statement about without any proof? Evidence that I can check is checked. ?Ninja made a sudden jump in net worth!? Great! But if their account could have done that, I have no right to disable. Seems to me that even josh complains that the program was tampered with when I did find evidence. I know what it would be like if I just stated deleting people because I feel they could be cheating.

Frankly I think this is all ridicules. This is a game, not the IRS. The safeties in play should be satisfactory if it were not for people that don?t value the belongs of others. If this was a poker game that paid real money, I could maybe understand. If someone had value but changing their grades to get into a better university, then maybe I could understand. But this is a game to see who has the best talent. What glory would there be in taking a motorcycle to a bicycle race? A gun to a sword fight? How about playing college football against a grammar school? In the long run, no one values the winner. I put most of the people around here above cheating because there is no self worth for them even if they know how.

I know that some people may just not like me or Retto or whoever they are fighting, thus damaging the program makes them feel they got some revenge. But this logic also fails. Kind of like blowing up a bus of your own friends to get your one enemy. There are 50 people in each game that are innocent and just want to play a game and have fun. So why would anyone want to destroy the program or even cheat stop them from advancing to their highest talent?

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

thenextone

wasn't really accusing you of anything
i told retto what was going on and he didn't od anything
and he turns around and blames me
im not sure if it could be a compilation of errors/time or just bad luck with everything..
retto has the most inside information i would suspect
and he's made it pretty clear that it wasn't a running error and i would have to take his stand on things as the problems were backtoback after an entire server reset and i would suspect a complete memory/cache dump
it owuld just imply tampering
that's all

The Beatles

Your post makes no sense.

[edit] OK, we talked on AIM. The situation still makes no sense but it's not your fault.

Gen. Volkov

[edit: reason for post dissapeared]
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

cloud

I blame Volkov  :-D

actually, probably not, but w/e, lol.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Gen. Volkov

LOL. Man, I am just not popular today.

thenextone

alright alright
let me explain

server caused problems, related to the code that gives turns
> retto wipes redwall information for regular and turbo
> retto starts with a clean slate with basically no altered code from when he started, save for some turbo exceptions none of which deal with when turns are given

>same problems happen again
question is, why?
it's like formatting your computer because of a malware infection but it happens again without introducing foreign contageons
>>>>>conclusion being an outside influence has caused these problems
>>>>>UNLESS information above is false, like retto not doing a thorough deletion, etc

edit: if there is an outside influence it is just as likely to be anyone,
-see habit vs character.

Blood Wake

*is extremely bored*

Retto you do realize that we are all so addicted to this game that with out it we go insane right?
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Retto

So, I've put turns back, but as you can tell, it's on a slightly different scale:
In turbo "You get 30 Turns every 60 minutes", at 6 minutes after the hour
In reg, "You get 7 Turns every 60 minutes", at 3 minutes after the hour

If people keep hounding on the server to make us take so much CPU, Turbo will get turns less frequently, and will eventually have to be stopped. This could create different dynamics in the game because it's not very continuous anymore, but we'll see how things go.

We ran for two years with more servers and more players, so logically it shouldn't be a problem.
The 'ittle otter,
Retto

The Beatles

Excellent, Retto.

This should discourage those that stay on and on just for the extra drop of turns that arrives every 10 minutes.

A disadvantage is that people will appear online for 2 hours. Or an advantage, depending on how you look at it.

Markets will fill up slower -- I should think?

However, it will probably end those little online spats people have when they run out of turns and wait for more.

It has good and bad effects, I suppose.