"Google Battling a 1984 Mentality"

Started by Aqualis, January 20, 2006, 01:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aqualis

"Less talky, more drivey." ~Hawk, Applegeeks Issue #161

~the mighta awualis

bjornredtail

To be fair, other search engines have complied with such requests outright, or so I read on Slashdot.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Arguia Zsah

Ooo... I watched a program about google the other night... made me feel that really it is too big and too.. well... controlling... can't remember much of what it said (blame the fact that I was fallnig asleep at the time) but it did make me think that maybe I should use other search engines.

---

Ah... one fact - they keep records of everything you search for and the IP address used... for ever I think...  :|

windhound

they also never delete any email that goes through them, even if you ask it to  :-P

www.dogpile.com is a decent alternative to just google, its actually a metasearch engine I think, as it uses other engies (google, yahoo, msn, etc) to find its results, then works with thoes to find what it thinks are the best results

if I find it I'll post..  a curious flash movie about google's expansion now and for the future (theoretical)..

still, I like google
good free email service, google maps and earth are spiffy, google news is good, and yeah.  *Shrug*
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

Google will soon take over the world with new GoogleBots TM. They will helpfully control every aspect of your life.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Arguia Zsah

I like google... best search engine ( :|?) but it does scare me this keeping data thing they got... oh well.