A Bit Of Culture For You Guys... :)

Started by The Beatles, January 15, 2003, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vengerak

QuoteNo. They went around true, but the French held out in the Maginot Line for quite some time. A drawback of Blitzkrieg.

It was more a case of "being left to rot" than "holding out".  The sections of it the Germans invested were taken by storm.  Although it is true that the Maginot Line did in fact face both ways.

QuoteNo, it is an ancient symbol used by the Knights Templar and a Teutonic pagan symbol before that. Swastika.

The symbol was also used by Buddhists.

QuoteWrong. What the fanatical general did was run the death camps. But the entire thing was indeed Hitler's idea.

Actually, Hitler and Rosenberg's idea was to deport them all to Madagascar, and later eastern Europe.  It is thought that when the exterminations are thought to have begun on a large scale in '45 it was largely on the initiative of his subordinates.

Vengerak

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on March 28, 2006, 12:26:01 PM
Quotethe Battle of the Bulge was lost when it became a bulge instead of a puncture in the lines.

The bulge in the frontline was created because the lines were punctured.  Obviously.

QuoteAfter that it was just a matter of time. They were running low in both but they never actually ran out I believe.

You believe wrong.  Pieper's group, for one, had to abandon its vehicles in the field because they were out of fuel.

QuoteIronic though, the main point of the BOTB was to capture fuel.

No, the point of Autumn Mist was to capture Antwerp and cut off more than a million Allied soldiers.  Capturing fuel along the way was simply a means to that end.

QuoteBut yes, the bombing was the reason they had so little fuel.

Not really.  The bombing wasn't decisive, the fuel was running out simply because supplies were finite and the Germans were running out of the stuff after so many years.

QuoteKursk.. was more just sheer numbers, and the fact that the Russians forced them to fight there instead of where the Germans wanted to fight. The Russians killed nearly all the German tanks, after that it was pretty much over.

The whole "the tigers are burning" thing was actually revealed to be myth quite some time ago.  The Germans gave the Russians a sound thrashing in the field.  The offensive was called off at the point where victory was in sight because Hitler had been nervous of it beginning, and with it having bogged down on the north flank and the Western Allies landing in Sicily he lost his nerve.  Manstein was furious.

QuoteAnother problem at Kursk was the scarcity of their really good tanks, Tigers and Panthers...

The Panthers actually experienced a lot of problems in the field; they weren't all that, and weren't present at the decisive battles of the Citadel campaign anyway.  The jagdpanther though, to be fair, was probably the best tank destroyer of the war. Came far too late in the game, though.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteThe bulge in the frontline was created because the lines were punctured.  Obviously.

No, there's a difference between puncturing lines and pushing them back. If they had been punctured, the Germans would have been able to get into the rear areas and sow havoc, in addition to getting too the massive allied fuel depots.

QuoteYou believe wrong.  Pieper's group, for one, had to abandon its vehicles in the field because they were out of fuel.

One example is not conclusive proof than an entire german army ran out of fuel. Most of them had enough left to retreat. Though alot of that had to do with them having alot less vehicles retreating than initially pushed out to attack.

QuoteNo, the point of Autumn Mist was to capture Antwerp and cut off more than a million Allied soldiers.  Capturing fuel along the way was simply a means to that end.

Quit taking my statements out of context. The rest of that says "capturing the fuel was one of the FIRST objectives"

Not really.  The bombing wasn't decisive, the fuel was running out simply because supplies were finite and the Germans were running out of the stuff after so many years.

You are correct that the early bombing wasn't all that effective or decisive, except to pull much needed resources away from the Eastern front to defend the homeland, by the time of the Battle of the Bulge, the bombing had become very effective, and one of it's targets was oil refineries. It was a combination of the two forces that was causing the shortage.

QuoteThe whole "the tigers are burning" thing was actually revealed to be myth quite some time ago.  The Germans gave the Russians a sound thrashing in the field.  The offensive was called off at the point where victory was in sight because Hitler had been nervous of it beginning, and with it having bogged down on the north flank and the Western Allies landing in Sicily he lost his nerve.  Manstein was furious.

While it's true that the Russians actually lost more tanks than the Germans, the Russians outnumbered the Germans so heavily that it didn't matter. I was only refering to the Battle of Kursk though, not the whole Citadel campaign, though Hitler's retreat order did help set up Kursk.

QuoteThe Panthers actually experienced a lot of problems in the field; they weren't all that, and weren't present at the decisive battles of the Citadel campaign anyway.  The jagdpanther though, to be fair, was probably the best tank destroyer of the war. Came far too late in the game, though.

Panthers were present at most of the battles of the Citadel campaign, but not in decisive numbers. And I refered to 2 tanks, the Tiger and the Panther. The Tiger was most certainly all that. There are reports of one ore two Tigers destroying most of a division of Shermans. And while the T-34 was a much better tank than the Sherman, it was definitely not as good as the Tiger, and probably the Panther as well. But again, as with the Jagdpanther, neither tank came soon enough, or in enough numbers to make a big enough difference for it to matter in the overall picture. They gave a good showing though. Don't even get me started on the Tiger 2.

QuoteActually, Hitler and Rosenberg's idea was to deport them all to Madagascar, and later eastern Europe.  It is thought that when the exterminations are thought to have begun on a large scale in '45 it was largely on the initiative of his subordinates.

The info I have says that Hitler implemented the exterminations after he realized it would not be possible to get them out of Europe.

Oh, and why are you posting in this after it's been dead for so long? And when I wasn't actually even talking to you?
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES