International Retirement for 3 Americans

Started by Deathclaw, June 23, 2006, 12:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathclaw

Captain Claudio Reyna, defender Eddie Pope, and striker Brian McBride all announced their international retirement. They all plan to continue to play for their respective clubs. Reyna cited the reason that there is nothing for the Americans like a European Championship in two years, so he retired as he will be 33 on July 20th. Pope is 32 and McBride who turned 34 on Monday. The captain's armband is almost certain to go to Landon Donovan, a two time World Cup veteran. Who wore the armband on several occasions in World Cup qualifying, and took it over in the 2-1 loss to Ghana after skipper Claudio Reyna was substituted short of half time with an injury, Ben Olsen taking on the holding midfield responsibilities. All of the more senior squad members backed Donovan as captain during qualifying when he first wore the armband.

Goalkeeper Kasey Keller, by some considered the best in the world currently, stated his intentions to play in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. He will be 40, and if he is in the squad, he will be the first American to feature in 5 World Cups.
Glory, Glory, Man United!

artu

Deathclaw

Quote from: artu on June 23, 2006, 07:41:19 PM
:cry: :cry:
why reyna

He will turn 33 next month, so he would be 37 for the next World Cup, and he will probably retire completely by then. Mastroeni can take over the holding role permanently, but Reyna's passing will be missed. Donovan will take over the armband. Hopefully Arena is on the way out and we use the 4-4-2. In that case, my XI without the retired players would be:

GK - Keller (Howard if he retired before next WC or if Howard proved to be better in his loan next season with Everton)

RB - Cherundolo
CB - Onyewu (going to be in the Premiership next season, most likely)
CB - Gibbs (missed out on World Cup due to injury)
LB - Lewis (someone like Charlton should try to sign him from Leeds to get him in the Premiership, he's a quality player)

RM - Dempsey (had the best World Cup out of the entire American squad, I think he should go to a Championship team soon)
CDM - Mastroeni (should go to England in my opinion)
CAM - Donovan (should go to England as well, maybe to Manchester City to link up with Reyna for a couple seasons)
LM - Beasley (loads of speed, great player but only showed his true ability in spurts during the Ghana match... Convey could challenge Beasley for the left midfield berth as well, excellent form for Reading)

ST - Johnson
ST - Ching or Twellman (Ching and Donovan link up well and Ching is good in the air)

artu

hey but keller is aiming for the 2010 world bup and by then he will be 40

Deathclaw

Quote from: artu on June 24, 2006, 07:37:51 PM
hey but keller is aiming for the 2010 world bup and by then he will be 40

Yeah I don't think he will start by then, but who knows right now he's the best in the world to a lot of people at 36, if he stays in the same shape, well goalkeepers get better with experience so who knows? But I would pencil in Howard for 2010.