Keller named Moenchengladbach captain

Started by Deathclaw, August 10, 2006, 02:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathclaw

American goalkeeper Kasey Keller expects his approach to remain the same, even after being elected captain of the German soccer club Borussia Moenchengladbach by his teammates.

"I'm honored and very happy, but it doesn't make a big difference for me -- I've always spoken my mind anyhow,'' Keller said Thursday.

The 36-year-old said he was proud of the trust his teammates at the German Bundesliga club showed in making him full-time captain for the first time in his career.

Keller, in his third season with Moenchengladbach, has earned a reputation as one of the Bundesliga's top goalkeepers. He is the only American to play in three top European Leagues after stints at Millwall, Leicester City, Spurs and Southampton in England and Rayo Vallecano in Spain.

Former captain Jeff Strasser was told in June by new coach Jupp Heynckes that he should seek a new club.

Heynckes said he was happy with the players' choice of captain.

"Who knows? Maybe, I would have picked exactly the person they elected," said Heynckes, who led Real Madrid to the Champions League title in 2000.

Moenchengladbach has invested heavily in a new stadium and players in recent seasons, hoping to repeat the glory of the 1970s, when it was Bayern Munich's biggest rival. It opens the Bundesliga season Saturday against Energie Cottbus.

Keller lives with his wife and two children in a rented castle not far from the German-Dutch border.
Glory, Glory, Man United!