Code Department

Started by The Lady Shael, September 08, 2006, 11:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

Hey members! In case you haven't heard, the RWL Admin Triumvirate (me, Peace and Wolf) have divided responsibility into three departments. I'm in charge of the Code Department, and therefore will be handling any code/bug-related issues.

This topic is to be used to list any issues or problems you think the Code Department should be aware of. I'm open to ideas on improving the code, maybe even new features, but the MOST CRUCIAL thing right now is fixing the bugs.

So, as you find them, please post any code/game errors, broken links, misspellings, etc, in this topic.

Thanks,

Shael

[edit]

The Code Dept is aware of:
-the broken game guide link
-broken race-specific abilities
-the turn thing (7 turns in 60 min, not getting turns when supposed to)
-broken cities
-broken races
-attacking without having turns
-"A Fatal Error Has Occurred!"
-unpredictable move north
-security violations
-phantom land
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Ruddertail

The turn thing, if not fixed, might rank somewhere on the list. As well as that some of the race specific abilities don't even work, not the mention the fact that they're useless... Game guide links also don't seem to work. If you could get that fixed up, it might help some of the newbies.

Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

The Lady Shael

This may sound a little silly, but I need specifics. I haven't played the game for almost two years (sorry >.<), so I need elaboration. This comment is somewhat aimed at "the turn thing", but also goes for anyone who plans to post in this topic.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Ruddertail

Last time I checked, we got 7/60 on Reg and 30/60 on Turbo, instead of the standard 1/10, 5/10. It's not a major problem, but kind of odd, and anoying... Something to clean up before we kick off the add campain, at least.

Though it might have been fixed since. Somebody with a game account...?

Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

The Lady Shael

*after logging in her admin account* It hasn't been fixed. That IS annoying. No wonder no one wants to play this game anymore...

wolf bite

People were using sub programs to keep their acounts on line. This caused our server host to almost drop us. So turns were set to hourly until we could be sure it was fixed.

Wolf Bite

Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

windhound

are we sure its been fixxed though?
lets not lose the server  :|

cities need to be added to the list of things to fix
either get rid of them or fix them so it doesnt spew things at you when you try to take one (which also needs to be fixxed in terms of what it tells you, fail, succeed)

ofcourse, fixxing the races is the biggie
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Neobaron

I am not sure if the "turn thing" includes not recieving turns according to schedule.

Often times I will sit in front of Turbo for a full hour if ive overshot my 450 only to not get any turns when i'm supposed to.

I never have this problem in Reg as I normally dont make a full run.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Ruddertail

Meh, there's like a 10 - 20 minute delay off the hour... I think.

Turns are /really/ messed up. Don't risk the server, but when it's safe to fix them, do so, please.
Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

Wolf Snare

turns aren't messed up at all. sure, they come when it says 49 minutes until turns, but they come every hour on that mark. so no big deal really.

hmm, I remember a bug with drive a while ago, in which you could attack people without actually having turns. I reported it to wolf bite but it should go on the list.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Gen. Volkov

And fix it so that it stops saying a fatal error has occured every time you do something.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Neobaron

I actually thought that was a built in clan detterent when I first came to the game...

Joined the (V)obs clan (or something like that) and it told me I had commited a fatal error.

In the next few days my account got shushed by Peace Alliance so from that point on I have been wary of joining a clan because it might be a fatal error which has been foretold by some computer mastermind out there who is more intelligent than me.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

The Lady Shael

Neo, you amuse me. I'm almost tempted to leave the bug just to hear more stories like that one.  :wink:

Scarwake

If you go to the General's Hut and for example: Stoat Pressgang is what you intend on using...It doesn't work and that goes for all Race specific leader abilities.
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

bjornredtail

Over at my site we did a security audet of the FAF code. It turned up quite a bit of stuff. IF RWL's development team has really changed thier ways and will not take action aginst me, my website, or the community at large, I would be willing disclose the results of this audet. Although some of it doesn't appily to RWL at all, quite a bit comes from our common ancestor.

On a diffrent note, it may be worthwhile to use the FAF codebase. With somewhat minor modifications you could implement most of BAXX's distinsitive features (cities, procterates and split attacking), and still retain most of the advantages our development has brought (fewer bugs, flexable troops, skinning and better administration). In fact, I would be willing to help with such modifications. (I'm a computer science major... How hard can this be?)
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!