Code Department

Started by The Lady Shael, September 08, 2006, 11:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neobaron

Wait so you would be willign to help us fix RWL (pending the admins)?

Is that what youre saying?
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

bjornredtail

Sortof. I'm thinking more along the lines of useing what we run over at FAF as the basis of a new version of RWL. Given the resaults of the FAF security audet that we did a while ago, and RWL's experiance with varous security problems, it may be easier than trying to work from the BAXX codebase. Such an effort I would be willing to help with, to spite my limited codeing experiance.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

wolf bite

Add:
Unpredictable move north
Security violations

Sheal, Please remember that the email for game signup questions needs to be change to someplace we can get to it.

Wolf Bite
Edit: I had posted that the attack without using turns was a fluke Not a bug. But snare has showed me that the flaw is still out there. Thanks.
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

The Lady Shael

I explored the code A LOT today (seriously, I've pretty much been sitting at the computer all day, it's probably not healthy) and I did fix several things, though you might not think they're very noticeable (give me a break, it's my first day).

One of them is that I re-linked Help link on the menu to the old Game Guide, as kind of a temporary thing until the new Help pages are finished. At least the old Game Guide is prettier than a bunch of error gibberish.

I didn't touch the turn thing.....as said earlier, it may have been the turns' fault that we were almost shut down. We're not putting it back until we're quite sure that it didn't contribute to the problem

I fixed the "A Fatal Error Has Occurred" problem (it should now say "Something Has Occurred" when a non-negative event happens)....though I need your help. I'm sure there's still many "Fatal Errors" out there that don't belong, but I don't have time to go through all the code, so as you see them, list them here, or message me on Reg (#2). 

Again, there were other things I fixed, but things you might not notice unless you were trying to find an error, or you're just having a really bad day. (example: trying to become a protectorate of a dead warlord)
One thing that really annoyed me was "Clans" in the menu having two S's...as in "Clanss". I'm not sure if I was the only one who was immensely annoyed by that...hm.

I did look into the other problems on the list, but it's hard to pinpoint them. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can give any more details about the bugs, or message me on Reg if they recently happened. Also, I'm on AIM more than I used to be, so even if I have my away message up, I should still reply. (AIM: The Lady Shael) 
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Wolf Snare

good job shael. I know how hard it is to even understand code, let alone fix it. I added you on aim, when we are both on at a convenient time we can go over a couple bugs that I am aware of.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

White Fang

Can we get the phantom land bug fixed? Currently, on turbo, I've got around 1,000 land that the score pages/main stat bar say I have, but the building screen says I don't.

Highly annoying, especially since it messes with my leader/land ratio.

wolf bite

Extra land is known as the immortality bug. Seems to happen when there is an online fight. Some land is lost on the account, but does not record on the main page as being lost. Thus the player shows more land then they have to use. The player can not die.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

White Fang

Haha! That's a pretty sweet bug! Guess I don't have to worry about being killed anymore.... ;)

wolf bite

Most people are happy about getting that one. No one seems to notify me that they came on line and had 0 land but could still take turns.  Hehe.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Ruddertail

o.0 That's a strange bug...

Then again, most people wouldn't notice that, because normally you see your dead, and immediately delete so you can get on to creating a new account...
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

bjornredtail

Does the attacker still get credit for the kill?
AKA, Nevadacow

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

wolf bite

There is no kill in the immortality bug (thus the name). After all the build-able land is gone, the attacker keeps winning the fight but 0 land is lost despite the scores page saying the target has land. The bugged account signs on and sees at the top of their page that they have land, But if they go to their build page, there is none. The bugged account can ether scout or attack to gain land back. The way we have been dealing with this bug is that if someone is going for a kill and takes 3 shots at someone and gets no land, they contact the admins. Assuming we can verify the person would have been killed, we delete them.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

The Lady Shael

I'm working on fixing the bugs again, so I should be online a lot more. If you have experienced a bug, I really really really want to hear about it. My AIM is The Lady Shael, and if it's about a RWL bug, I'll be more than happy to talk to you.

I've already fixed some minor things, but as I said before, the other bugs are more general, and really only occur through loopholes in the code, and so I need more details. This includes attacking without turns, not getting turns when supposed to, moving north unpredictably....I just have to take your word for it right now, because the code says it should work.

Don't forget to tell me about spelling/grammer errors, broken links, broken features.....ANYTHING that you see that isn't working the way it's supposed to. Fixing it might help lead the way to fixing a bigger bug.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

The Lady Shael

Shame on me for double posting, but it's necessary.

Just an update on what I'm doing...schoolwork has loosened its grip on me, so I've had a bit more time to work on this stuff.

These are the bugs I'm working on and investigating now(in no particular order):
-unpredictable move north (I really need more info on this)
-phantom land/immortality bug
-clan officers are still officers after they leave clan (almost fixed)
-not really a bug, but trying to figure out how to put vacationers lower on the scores list
-incorrect abandoned warlords count
-bug with clans (but I'm not saying what it is  :-P)

We think we've fixed the attacking with turns bug...let me know if it still hasn't been fixed. (it's the right thing to do, people)

Also, if there's anything you think should be added to the list above, or any bug you think deserves high priority, please let me know.

[edit] forgot to mention that I'm really enjoying this.  :-) And I'm learning a ton. Don't think you're inconveniencing me in any way by piling more bugs and coding work on me.

[edit2] Because my pride prevents me from triple-posting.

List of bugs we're working on and investigating:
-unpredictable move north (NEED MORE INFO)
-phantom land/immortality bug (again, don't have enough details to go on)
-what caused the server to threaten to shut us down
-why it's not recognizing turbo hordes are using training settings to full potential

Besides those bugs, I still have to comb the old bugs topics and I might find something in there I can work on, because I'm running out of bugs to fix.

bjornredtail

Any idea on when there may be a relatively stable relase?

May I also suggest that RWL set up a testing server to allow the public at large to help in finding bugs. Set quite a high turn rate to allow a verity of conditions that might not occure in typical play to occure. Relax regulations on multis for that server to allow individuals to test bugs involving many players at once. If RWL's host doesn't have the space/reasources to spare, you may concider signing up for an account at sourceforge.net, as they give out hosting to most types of open source projects.
AKA, Nevadacow