Code Department

Started by The Lady Shael, September 08, 2006, 11:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

Unfortunately, we won't have an estimate for a release date until we get a testing server set up. We've been complaining about this to ourselves for the past couple weeks, in fact, and we haven't been quite sure what to do about it except for contacting Retto. 

SourceForge sounds amazing...I just checked it out, and I'm sure we'll look into it if all else fails.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

windhound

sourceforge..  I was under the impression that the space they give would be mostly for informational purposes and hosting of downloadable files..  not for running off of...
a note that to be on sourceforge assumes (requires I belive) you share your source (thus the name)
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

bjornredtail

That is true, but they do offer the use of some webspace and a database for the project. The really neat stuff is really a bit too complicated to be of much use to folks develolping small projects like ours. I'm thinking subversion and CVS and the like. They also mirror the files (once you make a relase) a whole bunch of places... But again not much of a problem as the game is under a couple of megabytes.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Riverpaw

I'm not sure Sourceforge would let you use their resources that way. I always thought they were for collaborating on a project and for releasing it to the world.

Someone might consider using free hosting somewhere, or using their own home computer (would anyone take the risk/electric bills?).

If you're looking for a free webhost, there was one I use a while ago called GrinHost that has php and mySQL at the cost of requiring you to be semi-active on their forums.

But, er, why not just make a subdirectory within RWL's main directory, make a new database, and such? It wouldn't be that much more load on the server, would it?
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

The Lady Shael

Our testing server issue has been solved, thanks to windy. But thanks for your suggestions.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

windhound

that was the issue rudder..  turns come in packets every hour on turbo (and reg as well?) because the game was being too much of a burden on its host

the testing server will probably be hosted on my box, a twin P3 667mhz ibm webserver, which is directly connected to the campus network (uberfast speed)
we'll see how it goes
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Wolf Snare

ummmmmm. problem in turbo with warlords and generals hut. the error that I'm getting is:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/redwallw/public_html/t/spells.php on line 814

wont let me attack or cast spells. shael?  :-D :-D :-D :-D
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

The Lady Shael

Sorry about that. >.< It should work now. Meh, I'm so used to programming in Java...

Wolf Snare

1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

bjornredtail

Any word on progress on the testing server? If windhound's box (which is in all ways better than my proposal) falls through, I might be able to set it up RWL on my falcon/hornet account that is given to me through the school. I'm just not entirely sure if we get a database with the webserver.
AKA, Nevadacow

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

windhound

I've had Devari and Beatles look at it nev, and neither can figgure out why rwl doesnt want to run
( http://rwl.no-ip.org/rwl ) its a standard, clean install of Fedora core 5 with about everything a webserver would need to run plus quite a bit of stuff it doesnt need
about everything I've tried except rwl runs fine, so go figgure

*shrug*  Shael is / was looking into another possibility, it would be nice to go ahead and get testing started

Riverpaw

Windy's server now runs RWL. Except it doesn't want to let us stay logged in.
I am back. First to notice gets a cookie...

*ten years later*

Oh.

windhound

blackbird doesnt like cookies
maybe we should try oatmeal raisen

windhound

tried oatmeal raisen + enabling a setting and she likes cookies now

we seem to be good to go

bjornredtail

Okay... I'm just confirming that multing or hacking will not get me shot, shot again, and then drawn and quartered. I can (attempt) these activities aginst the development head on the test server, right?
AKA, Nevadacow