Turbo Round 38

Started by Peace Alliance, September 30, 2006, 10:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Fang

Definately. When you get a bonus on mercs, it should apply to both purchase and selling (purchase prices should go down and selling prices up), otherwise it's not that much of a bonus (same if it's a drawback, except the other way around).

Ruddertail

Peace, by definition, indy is troop selling. You very rarely buy troops as an indy... Unless you've got a ton of cash sitting around with no way to store it, and you know it'll get stolen if you leave it.

And white fang, that just means it's strat specific. If you want to go indy, get a race with high Merc prices, since you rarely buy. If you want to go leader, you want low prices - while you'll get less for reselling your troops, it's more important to buy cheap.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

windhound

oh, I was just reminding people asking all the race questions that there is a chart...
and that if you changed the lizard's info you should update the chart as well  = )

if you think its silly just change it..  or ask shael to add it to her to-do list
I'm assuming you're just looking at a list of quick options to change gameplay, but there are inner workings behind that which are fairly easily changed

its called balancing white fang..  yes, you can sell at a nice price, but you'll have to buy at higher prices
this benifits most indiers who only make their troops, and is a slight detriment to leaderers who have to buy their stuff
which is good.  too many people relying too heavily on leaders (myself included, but I was on the boat early)

blah.  rudder snuck in.  while semi-redundant, posting anyways
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

White Fang

I realize there should be balance, but if a race has -20% mercs, they're going to have--as an example--+20% costs to balance it out. However, the way the mercs stand, that merc "bonus" balances itself out, so that increase to costs would be unnecessary.

Ruddertail

Not really. If I'm an indy, + 20% sell helps me tons, and + 20% buy costs doesn't hurt at all.

Therefore, it doesn't balance.

But... if you want to rig things so they favor indy, by my guest. :P
Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

White Fang

QuoteNot really. If I'm an indy, + 20% sell helps me tons, and + 20% buy costs doesn't hurt at all.

Right, but that's not the point. If I'm leadering, +20% leadership helps me a ton, while -20% troops production doesn't hurt me at all. However, the stats are still in balance.

QuoteBut... if you want to rig things so they favor indy, by my guest.

I've run a strat a couple of times with leaders that--had the merc bonus applied to both buying and selling--it woulda' helped me out a ton.

windhound

depends on your strat whitefang..  I use a sort of hybrid leader / indy strat
if I lost 20% troop production I'd be hurting (and would have to tweak my strat)

I think this round of turbo is proving that tweaking the game for indiers can help..  too much
need to find a nice balance
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

White Fang

All I was saying is that you find the race that has bonuses that help you the most, with drawbacks that hurt you the least. For that reason, each race is balanced so that the bonuses and drawbacks come up to 0; if a merc "bonus" gives a bonus in one area, but a drawback in another, why should it be considered a "bonus?"

And yes, I do agree that the Lizard was pumped up too much.

Ruddertail

Yeah, it looks like it so far... Still, we'll have to see how things go by the end of the set.

Cash gives a lot less net then troops, so if leader players don't buy troops but just leave the cash sit (assuming indiers won't sack. I know I rarely do, though others might) they might not be as inferior as it looks. Besides, hardly anybody is leader anyhow, and only one is the overpowered marten.

Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

windhound

meh. 
you also assume the leaderers wont turn on their own as well
get a big enough cash stockpile and somone will notice...

and people sack fairly regularly..  weather I have cash and food or no

Ruddertail

2     ?    Redan Dash IV (#14)     17,292     $268,467,741     BOW (War)     Wolf     Southsward

Though some of that net might be Snare's. Still, unless Snare gave him the great majority, I wouldn't say leaders are too far out of the picture.

Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

White Fang

Heheh...Snare and I=own!

(Btw, most of the net is neither mine nor Snare's...we generated it jointly).

Wolf Snare

:-D

We were actually about to start warring again, but we decided to join up and put our heads together.
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

windhound

unless yall start leaving your defences down, yeah.
leaders are compeltely out of the picture.  I've been doing fairly clean runs and yall have tripple my net

I think I'm going to play supplier this round = D

White Fang

Actually, it's not just leaders...everything's out of the picture this round.