Question for Volky....

Started by Alazar is Back, November 13, 2007, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alazar is Back

Is the movie braveheart historicaly accurate? I have always wondered this, and just recently watched the movie again, and i know that one of your majors is history, so i was just wondering.....
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

pippin the mighty

Firetooth

volky, is braveheaert about those celts lead by wallace? :?
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

kell

They were scots, (ie from scotland) I'm sure most of it is factual regarding the battles but hollywood tends to always put a love story in these kinds of movies to keep the girls interested pearl harbour is a perfect example
founder of eire

first emp on the new server

Blood Wake

Volkov, never reply to this topic, it's funnier that way
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

wolf bite

A friend was over who is trying to get a job as a history professor, he wrote the below without needing to look anything up.

No, The movie Braveheart is not historically accurate. The first battle in the movie, The Battle at Sterling was in the movie was depicted as a very decisive victory for the Scots. In history this was not so. It was a victory, but the English still kept their offensive strength up. The major victory for the Scottish was the Battle of Bannockburn, which is only depicted during the very last seconds of the movie. After that battle, the Scottish gained their independence for a few centuries.
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Alazar is Back

Thanks wolf.....I am really getting sick of pippin and his friends spamming up these topics though......

I always thought it was pretty acurate but i guess not.
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Firetooth

Quote from: Firetooth on November 13, 2007, 11:26:52 AM
volky, is braveheaert about those celts lead by wallace? :?
I want an answer, rn.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gen. Volkov

Stop spamming Firefight.

If you really must know, Braveheart is an incredibly inaccurate retelling of the First Scottush War for Independence. So the answer to your question is yes... kinda. Scots aren't exactly Celts, and Wallace was only the leader for part of the war.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Firetooth

Gen. Volkov

That song is dumb and you are dumb.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Firetooth

Firetooth

btw the Celts weren't even a real thing

Gen. Volkov

....yes they were. Its debatable how much of a unified culture there was, but there were definitely a bunch of Celtic speaking people in pre-Roman Europe.

Firetooth

No, they weren't. A common linguistic root =/= a shared language by a homogeneous group of people. St. Columba needed an interpreter to translate different languages across Britain (I think it was Scotland specifically he travelled but can't remember and cba to check), iirc, ie. even within a single "Celtic" country, these languages were not mutually intelligible.

Plus, an ethnic group has to self-identify. The word Celt originates with Roman sources applying it to the "Celtic" other; there is no evidence of Celtic self-identification. At a push, there is an account by Caesar that refers to a group of people in Gaul who referred to themselves as Celts. Nevertheless, there is absolutely no evidence of a unified Celtic culture of peoples - be it in art, language or a Celtic church.

Regardless, as I think you alluded to when you said the Scottish weren't Celts, the same Caesar account I mentioned makes explicitly clear that the inhabitants of the British Isles were not Celtic, as they were people who had "always been there" (he says something to that effect). If that is not concrete enough for you, analysis of a bunch of remains excavated across Britain from the "Celtic" period using the Globetrotter tool (recent research from 2014) found distinct genetic clusters, ie. these were not a homogeneous ethnic group.

Across all the "Celtic" regions in Europe, this heterogeneity manifests itself in other ways. Burial practices, for one, differ significantly within local communities. Most the research I've seen for this was concerned with parts of England, but you see this in mainland Europe, too. Basically, these people had short-range social lives and largely stayed within their communities, but you did paradoxically have a small but significant amount of contact between coastal communities in the Celtic fringe. From the main distribution centres here, local elites and petty kings would trade goods inwards, and this accounts for the distribution of the La Tene goods across Europe that had previously been seen as evidence of a unified "Celtic" culture across Europe.

The only real people you could tenuously argue were Celts would be the Gauls, but you'd get short shrift in a serious archaeological circle if you tried to do that with earnest.

/did a module on this (no I'm not an archaeologist but I decided to do some late antique history for a change)