The English Paper

Started by Shadow Giant, March 05, 2003, 10:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Giant

hey, i mentioned an english paper i was writing in turbo discussion, so i thought i'd run it past you guys. tell me if you like it or understand it.

A New Way to Think:

Parallel Time Planes

by: (my name, can't tell you that  :rolleyes: )

Think about your conventional theory of time. Most likely, if you were to make your vision into a quilt, it would look like a jumble of threads; all starting at different places, ending different places, and all traveling in one direction. Each thread would represent each person?s life, or allotment of time on the Earth. Naturally, this all would take place on a single two-dimensional ?time plane?, because everything is happening at the same time. This would make the side view of your ?time quilt? look like a single straight line. But what if each thread belonged to its own plane? This would mean that there would be an identical quilt for each thread, but only one thread on each quilt would really be moving; the rest would just be projections of what was happening on all the other quilts. Each thread would be at a different place on its quilt, and each person?s life would be happening at a different time than the rest of the lives, making each ?quilt? have its own plane of time. Confused? Let me explain further.
   First, let?s look at what the side view of the set of planes would look like with the new theory. Each line is parallel to all the rest, but each line is at its own time plane. All of the lines have the same path, yet each is at its own point on that path. This means that people are experiencing the past or future of everyone else?s life, not the other people?s actual self. Also, this means that you would truly be alone in the universe, because everyone around you doesn?t exist, they?re just projections of other people.
   This theory would make time travel possible, too. In the conventional theory, to travel across time, one would have to trace a path along the time plane forwards or backwards. Since they would still be on the same plane, the would cease to exist, or return to their old selves. For example, if you were to go to the future, you would stop existing as soon as you left, because in the past you went to the future and stopped existing. If you went to the past, as soon as you passed the point where you traveled back in time, you would pass that point in your mind and forget that you went to the past, therefore returning to that place in time because you never left yet. But if the parallel time plane theory were true, all one would have to do is go from one plane to the next to travel time. Yes, you would stop existing in your own time, but start to exist in someone else?s.
   The thoughts this new theory would elicit are somewhat frightening. You would only exist in a projection of everyone else?s reality, and your reality would be projected into everyone else?s. So who would have the right reality? Is everyone else an illusion; are you the only real person? Or are you an illusion yourself?
   There is no proof for or against this new theory. For example, say you were to tell me that you were experiencing this ?time?, right now, and I know I am. Proof? No. See, when you say you?re in this time, you were/will be, but as of now, I don?t know if it?s the future version of you saying it, or the past, or the present. The same reason goes for proof for it.
   In conclusion, this new theory is by all means possible, but probably just a fun thing to think about. The only difference it makes is whether we can travel time. I hope you understand the theory and had fun thinking about it. I will leave you with one thought: you might be perfectly alone in your own reality.

*#Sincerely, (my name again)#*
Don't you wish you were more like me?
Admit it. You do, don't you?

"A wise monkey doesn't monkey with another monkey's monkey."

To pass the time: Sit in your car in a parking lot with sunglasses on and point a hair dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.

I throw peanuts at old ladies!

"What the h*** is this?
DVD Dad.
People want to see us on DVD!
Yes Dad."
          From the Osbournes commercial for the DVD

*#sincerely, Shadow Giant#*
The best west of California.
(I live in Hawaii, Okay?)