Pearls of Lutra: The Return of Ublaz

Started by The Lady Shael, June 28, 2008, 03:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

[continuation from http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=9426.0]

I know I said I'd post this in the afternoon, but I couldn't sleep, and I finished it just right now. And I'm so horrible at keeping secrets!

This is the in-character backstory for the upcoming Turbo round. Even if you've never read the Redwall series, you might want to read this because vague details about the round are mentioned! You'll have most of the day to speculate before I post the details topic. =)

---------------------------------

The room was uncomfortably quiet. The three admins sat at the far end of the round table in the meeting room inside the RWL headquarters. Scarwake and windhound sat in chairs on the side of the circular room. No one spoke. No one showed signs of fear, but all were well experienced at hiding it.

Ever since they learned five days ago that the Emperor Ublaz Madeyes would be visiting them, they couldn't stop wondering. Didn't he die? Everyone was certain he had died many seasons ago, by the blade of Martin the Second. And what's more, he wanted to talk to them about "urgent matters"... that couldn't possibly mean-

CREEEAK....WHAM.

Their thoughts were rudely interrupted by the heavy wooden door in front of them opening slowly and slamming against the wall. A monitor lizard wearing a purple cloak and with many elaborate decorations entered, and spoke.

"Prezzzenting...hizz Royal Highnezz, the Emperor Ublazz Madeyezzzz."

And then Ublaz entered. He was every inch the legendary pine marten and Emperor that everyone had remembered. One of the most feared warlords in all of Mossflower's history. His gold crown was fixed on top of his head, with six pearl holders still empty. His eyes were even more piercing than ever, as if defeat had boosted his resolve ten times over.

He scanned the room, his piercing gaze meeting the eyes of everyone in the room one by one, and one by one, everyone looked away. It was common knowledge that Ublaz had the powers to hypnotize other creatures, and no one wanted to be his victim.

The three admins nodded in respect, and Ublaz nodded in return, and sat in the chair facing the three admins, with his monitor general standing behind him, looking around menacingly as if daring them to attack his Emperor.

The pine marten steepled his paws. "I can tell all of you have been wondering how it is possible that I am still alive." He waved his paw as if shooing a fly. "That is the past. It is not important. However, I will say that the precious sword of those wretched Redwallers isn't as glorious as they make it out to be."

No one knew what to say to this. The admins looked as if they wished they could say something. The mods looked like they were perfectly fine with not saying anything at all.

"But back to business. I called you here on urgent matters, and usually I would not employ the help of another organization, but I must say I am quite desperate..."

Finally Wolf Bite spoke. "So, Your Highness, does this mean you still quest for the rose-colored pearls?"

Ublaz didn't meet his eyes, which put Wolf at ease. "I am. I cannot rest until those pearls sit in this crown. So many of my finest soldiers have failed me. Lask Frildur, Romsca...worthless pieces of fishbait..."

Peace Alliance suddenly became interested. "The pearls still exist? I thought those Redwallers threw them in the ocean all those seasons ago."

"Those...were fakes. Over the past several seasons, my spies have discovered that the real pearls were given back to the otter tribe Lutra." His voice turned bitter. He glared at an ant crawling across the table and the ant stopped in its tracks. "I had them all murdered when I was first searching for the pearls, but apparently one survived."

Then the Lady Shael spoke up. She kept her voice at a business tone, trying to ignore the ant that had just jumped off the table to its death. "What do you require of us? We don't normally do services for other Emperors in Mossflower."

The pine marten nodded. "I am aware of that. As I stated earlier, I am desperate." He made a face as if spitting out something distasteful. "I need help getting the Tears of All Oceans. I no longer have an army of my own."

Peace couldn't hide the skepticism on his face. "So we're to believe that the mighty Madeyes has no forces of his own and wants to borrow ours? I still don't see what's in it for us?"

The emperor of Sampetra smiled, but there was no warmth in his eyes. "Of course, the resources on Sampetra will be available to anybeast who requires them." He paused meaningfully, then added, "For a small fee."

Peace sat up and said indignantly, "A small fee?!", but Ublaz continued as if he didn't hear him. "You may also use my lizard army for your troops." He bowed his head, but if his humbleness was sincere, the admins couldn't tell. "I am willing to sacrifice whatever needed. I am desperate."

He looked up, but no one was brave enough to meet his eyes, and the smile spread across his face again. "I suggest that you split up your warlords into several clans, to cover more ground."

Wolf nodded. "That sounds like a fair request. But your Highness, could we have more details about these pearls. I myself am not familiar with them, and have only briefly heard of the legend."

"Ah, the pearls. Known more commonly as the Tears of All Oceans." The fondness in Ublaz's voice sounded unusual for him."Six flawless pink pearls, held in a velvet-inlaid scallop shell. For thousands of seasons, vermin just like us have quested for the Tears, for they are rumored to-" the pine marten suddenly caught himself, but it was too late. The admins' minds were racing. Rumored to what? But they didn't dare press him to finish.

Ublaz stood up abruptly, his voice returning to its normal coldness. "I expect full regular reports on your status. And do not try to cross me." His eyes swept across every face, daring them to look in his eyes. But no one did. "I won't be lenient if I find out." And he left with his lizard officer, not even stopping to close the door.

All of the staff members looked at each other, stunned, scared, and excited all at the same time. This was the start of something big.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

My mission: stop the warlords from getting the pearls with only playing max 7days.
Hahahaha, I stick by my hate of forced clanning, but my idea is to funny, lol.
Oh, and pearls of lutra was my favourite redwall book :P
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

I've always waited for a round with an extra troop type, this should be awesome!
  Firetooth nothing can stand between me and those pearls, please don't try and stop me   :)

Firetooth

Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

taekwondokid42

Nice.

I'll probably play this round more seriously.

Marell

It'd be good to see you out there taek...the first round i played was exactly a year ago now, in which you taught me my first strat lol...indying. I think i've developed my skills alot since then, so it'd be really cool to play alongside you again.

I'm really looking forward to this round. Like Firetooth, Pearls of Lutra was probably my favourite book in the series.
Well done to Shael and all the admins and mods for putting in the time and effort to organise it  :)

Alazar is Back

Quote from: Marell on June 28, 2008, 11:28:45 AM
It'd be good to see you out there taek...the first round i played was exactly a year ago now, in which you taught me my first strat lol...indying. I think i've developed my skills alot since then, so it'd be really cool to play alongside you again.

I'd say. You went from average to easily emp material.

This oughta be a fun round :)
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Saladin

Still want Marlfox >:(

Any why did you delete my post?
Starfish love you

The Lady Shael

I didn't delete your post...o.o Again with the jumping to conclusions.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Saladin

Sorry Shael. Just wondering, why did my post disappear under mysterious circumstances?
Starfish love you

The Lady Shael

I think you're thinking about the "At the headquarters" topic.

Saladin

Starfish love you

Martin the warrior

Can i get an abriged version for someone with the attention span of a gnat? ???
Who thinks that I am dead
Knows naught at all.
I-- am that is.
Two mice within Redwall.
The Warrior sleeps twixt Hall and Cavern Hole.
I-- am that is.
Take on my mighty role.

The Lady Shael

Ublaz: Get me the pearls.
Admins: Uhhh...
Ublaz: You can buy lizards. Also, I might hypnotize if you attack me.
Admins: Okay. Fun!

thomaskreisman

You better whatch your back Ulbaz because u might just have a full scale uprizing on your hands in a matter of weeks and it might not be your crown those pearls go into, whatch your back I'm comming.