Congrats... Not Really

Started by Xenzik, June 14, 2011, 10:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

Eh, as I said I've received worse. It's unfortunate this happens, but they obviously realized the impact it would have on such a small site and on squire by leaving...I think they're not exactly a saint for leaving over something so trivial.

Looking at NW's message, I can see why I wouldn't be thrilled receving it, but people have to learn this is a war game. If you damage a players net, they will damage you back. NW wanted to save turns so sent a threat instead. I agree it could be better worded and less whiny, but leaving over that is too extreme. Sometimes people are grumpy, and many people (myself included) take the game too seriously, and that leads to grumpy messages. It's just something you have to get used to.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Either way, what's done is done. We lost a promising new player. She more than understood this is a war game, it wasn't the threat that turned her off. It was the whiny attitude.

This.

Because of the whining, sacking NW is now twice as productive! Anyone who sacks NW, send me an approximate total amount of resources stolen, and I will aid you an equal amount.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sharptooh

Quote from: The Lady Shael on June 15, 2011, 12:35:30 PM
It was 11 sacks

I agree that's not enough to warrant this

Quote from: The Lady Shael on June 15, 2011, 12:35:30 PM
She more than understood this is a war game, it wasn't the threat that turned her off. It was the whiny attitude.

I don't mean to try and be offensive to Xenzik, and I do hope they come back, but I think it was a major over-reaction on their part to leave because of this, and then make a forum post to announce it, I dread to think what would have happened had NW killed her without sending this message

I've received slightly off messages before, I think it's all part and parcel with RWL being a war game. besides which I think NW was just trying to scare them off, I doubt he would have acted on that, a kill on REG is a real waste of turns

Firetooth

Either way, in the future lets just all strive to be less hostile with ingame messages. As has been said, we can't change the past, but we can learn from it.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

You guys seem to think she left after a single message. She didn't. That was just the last one in a string of them.

Firetooth

I realize they left due to repeated messaging, but you can't expect other players to know this. If they had a problem, they should've told the admins, not left. In future perhaps messages should be monitored more closely.

Neobaron

Probably be prudent to post more messages if the claim is that he was whining.

The message posted looks more like posturing to me. I don't see any whining in it.

---

Also firetooth, the admins are not responsible and should not be responsible for people having thin skin.

Thats like you going to a bee farm (whatever its called) and bashing a hive repeatedly with a baseball bat, getting stung, and then complaining that the keeper should be more responsible about watching his bees.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Shadow on June 15, 2011, 12:43:59 PM
You guys seem to think she left after a single message. She didn't. That was just the last one in a string of them.

I didn't realise that, string of messages is a different matter compared to an isolated incident

Just to clarify, I get the impression that Squire is encouraging Sacking, is this right Shadow?

Quote from: Firetooth on June 15, 2011, 12:45:20 PM
I realize they left due to repeated messaging, but you can't expect other players to know this. If they had a problem, they should've told the admins, not left.

Contacting the admins might have been the best course of action, although I don't think they can do much (if anything) about this though

Making a topic about it seems to be a weird course of action, and seems more like whining than what NW messaged

More messages might be good to see context (as Neo said) it's possible she responded in a slightly rude manner which annoyed NW, I've not come to expect such things from him

Shadow

QuoteJust to clarify, I get the impression that Squire is encouraging Sacking, is this right Shadow?

We told players that it is a useful tool that can provoke ire and let them decide for themselves. We didn't discourage it, certainly, and in the war with Knight we told everyone to sack to their heart's content.

The Lady Shael

I can't tell what people are thinking when they're reading their messages, nor does anyone (even me) have the time to follow every conversation going on in-game. Xenzik was a new player; her only friends were her fellow clan members in Squire. She didn't know the community as well as you guys do. You guys know how it works because you've been here for years. You can't expect a new player to know exactly how to solve their problems. It's true she shouldn't have left over something you guys consider trivial, but she wasn't as assimilated into the community as you are. You guys would never leave because of a message like that because of the friendships you've made and you're much more attached to the community. Xenzik was not the same way.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Ruddertail

I guess I don't see what's "whiny" about threating somebody because they're sacking you. Whiny is "why are you being so mean to me." "Stop [hostile action X] or you will suffer [even more significant hostile action Y]" doesn't seem whiny or out of place. NW could have been more courteous in his message, but the basic format. . . It seems threats like this are a part of the normal interaction. Sure, sacking is part of the game. But where do we get the idea that just because it's allowed as part of the game means players can't object, and can't use other parts of the game (killing, murders, poisons, standards) as a response? I thought we wanted a game with player interaction, where people actually, you know, objected to hostile actions and retaliated?

So consider me confused.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Firetooth

Quote from: Neobaron on June 15, 2011, 12:47:35 PM

Also firetooth, the admins are not responsible and should not be responsible for people having thin skin.

Thats like you going to a bee farm (whatever its called) and bashing a hive repeatedly with a baseball bat, getting stung, and then complaining that the keeper should be more responsible about watching his bees.
I'm not for giving the admins more work, they do a great job, but that's a poor analogy as the bees aren't playing a game where both sides aim to destroy each other. Also, if it was several messages, it obvioulsy isn't a one-off problem.

Anyway, I appreciate it isn't possible to monitor every message. It was just a suggestion.

Briar

Nick, we are a clan based on sacking other clans, I'm kinda surprised you would complain at such an action.
Please don't make us look like a bunch of hypocrites.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Night Wolf

Quote from: Ruddertail on June 15, 2011, 12:56:17 PM
I guess I don't see what's "whiny" about threating somebody because they're sacking you. Whiny is "why are you being so mean to me." "Stop [hostile action X] or you will suffer [even more significant hostile action Y]" doesn't seem whiny or out of place. NW could have been more courteous in his message, but the basic format. . . It seems threats like this are a part of the normal interaction. Sure, sacking is part of the game. But where do we get the idea that just because it's allowed as part of the game means players can't object, and can't use other parts of the game (killing, murders, poisons, standards) as a response? I thought we wanted a game with player interaction, where people actually, you know, objected to hostile actions and retaliated?

So consider me confused.
Im confused as well Id like to know how a  threat and whine are being confused, seeme to to be a simple concept to me  :-\
Ill give yall an example,
Whine: "why'd u take my lunch money? Im gonna tell my mommy!!!"
Threat: "try to take my lunch money again im gonna take you out at the knees with a baseball bat"
Ok now kiddos which one did MY post sound like? :P

Quote from: Briar on June 16, 2011, 11:19:52 AM
Nick, we are a clan based on sacking other clans, I'm kinda surprised you would complain at such an action.
Please don't make us look like a bunch of hypocrites.

Umm No while I was away you guys decided to sack attack the whole flipping server, I find it annoying and useless, the only person I ever sacked was WB at the begining of the war

Dark Claws

Who deletes their account from a hollow threat? It's like threatening to kill someone for scratching him. And that someone is the incredible hulk.
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant