Fix leadering

Started by Neobaron, July 08, 2009, 08:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

QuoteIf you look at it from a solo standpoint #14 Is actually winning in regular with all food net. The two empires above her are clan net stores.

That misses the point entirely though, #14 is only in 3rd, and she is going to be hard pressed to take first. She's been massing food for months now, and is still 1 bil NW away from even taking second. Yes, she is competing against the net holders of a clan, but who in reg or turbo has actually won the set or taken emp solo since the code was changed? No one. If anyone cared enough, they could eliminate all of #14's food in a single run.

QuoteAnd she has what 35,000,000,000 food? Assuming 64mil of her net isn't food. If sack was fixed then yeah things would be different, because right now a successful sack gets you like 6 mil food. Gonna take me 5,833 sacks to take our her net and that's not calculating the diminishing returns. I don't know about you but I don't have 47,000 turns sitting around. It would only take like 2,000 to kill her at most.

You just provided the best argument yet for why sack needs to be fixed.

If you get rid of food net you get QM, Valhall, NWO, etc. all of which have a diversity of strategies and active markets.

Our code is not set up the same as those places, if you get rid of food net, I think you take a major facet of the game away.

Obviously, I'm not going to win about removing food net or nerfing leader attack gain, or lowering suicide loses, etc. But since we are in agreement that sack needs fixed we should probably figure out how to fix it.

Actually I think suicide losses need to be lowered too, but for different reasons.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

Agree with volk on the QM, valhall, etc. Getting rid of food net (or lowering it) won't magically make our market active, although I agree that we should work toward that. Suicides are something that need to be beta tested heavily for a balance to be found - I can argue equally well for or against lowering the suicide numbers, so I really am not sure which way we should go with that until we see some testing done on it, which means we need Shael active enough to fiddle with the test server while we test. Which could be a while ^_^.

Bt yeah - food may be the big winner in the long run, but it takes ages to mass and can be destroyed in no time at all. Indies have the strength of being able to fully recover from almost anything in a run or two, while for leaders, damage is more permanent.

Toward the market thing, I think that in order for it to be active, we need to go back to the old system where you can't see who yo uare buying from, mainly because people don't want t give cash to people they are competing with. We should also look at altering merc prices and numbers to make the public market more attractive. And we should cap public market prices at the maximum merc price (I believe that is for rats) so that for the most part, the public market would be cheaper than mercs.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

The Obliterator

Quote from: Juska on July 19, 2009, 03:18:33 PM
Oblit: By "other players" I meant non-leader players.
heh well i still remember the time i was an indy and changed to a leader in a run and took out 14 bil net at the same time.
Belive it or not indys can perform leader attacks
Watching people fight is fun...
...but getting involved is so much better

Juska

Quote from: The Obliterator on July 20, 2009, 10:29:06 PM

heh well i still remember the time i was an indy and changed to a leader in a run and took out 14 bil net at the same time.
Belive it or not indys can perform leader attacks
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Neobaron

Perfect example of this topic; guy in first on reg at the moment is completely helpless, and lil ole me is only kept in check by courtesy.

And there would be nothing he could do about it.

Broken.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.