Lending money and interst rates

Started by Sharptooh, August 06, 2011, 12:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooh

Just a quick idea

What if players could lend other players money? Interest rates could be calculated by the player who's borrowings:

- Networth
- Cash
- Land
- Past repayment record
- Number of troops
- The lender could also have input on the interest rate to undercut other players

There's probably lots of problems with this (Firetooth already pointed out borrowing a lot at the end of a round would be an easily abusable feature, but there are lots of easy ways to overcome this)

If there was a way of doing this effectively then I think it would make things much more interesting, and possibly make Magpies more of an interesting race to play.

I haven't put a lot of thought into how this would be accomplished or how entirely it would work (if you can't already tell by the length of the post) but I'm sure there are many people who could do a better job than me.

Also on a sidenote, could the interest payed on loans from Cluny's become variable instead of fixed? It might be interesting if it was defined by other factors.

Shadow

I've been experimenting with interest rates depending on markets to make them more attractive. I love interest rates being empire pendent.  I am all for your idea. =)

But end of round borrowing is going to be a problem, and the only solutions I have thought up are rather inelegant. If you have solid suggestions, I am all ears :)
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sharptooh

Quote from: Shadow on August 07, 2011, 12:17:22 AM
But end of round borrowing is going to be a problem, and the only solutions I have thought up are rather inelegant. If you have solid suggestions, I am all ears :)

Well mine and Firetooth's suggestions are almost definitely things you will have already considered

- We both thought that stopping borrowing say 2-4 days before the round end would fix this
- Instead of doing that, you could do something to the effect of force selling the borrowers troops / food to generate cash to pay back the loan say a few minutes before the reset
- Concerning other players lending, this wouldn't be much of a problem, simply as people likely wouldn't lend within the last couple of days of the round

That's pretty much all we could think up.

Pippin

all good ideas, just one thing about the troops being sold right before reset would mean the lender wouldnt be able to spend there money and interest made.

would this work like clunys hut where it gets paid back per turn, or is it the borrowers or lenders choice?
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Sharptooh

Quote from: Pippin on August 07, 2011, 11:42:23 AM
all good ideas, just one thing about the troops being sold right before reset would mean the lender wouldnt be able to spend there money and interest made.

Something I hadn't thought of

I suppose the troops/food could get transfered over? That sounds very inelegant though . . . .

Quote from: Pippin on August 07, 2011, 11:42:23 AM
would this work like clunys hut where it gets paid back per turn, or is it the borrowers or lenders choice?

I think payed back per turn would work well, although I suppose other methods might make it more interesting/useful

Firetooth

On Valhall they don't have this system however you can't take out loans on the last 3 days, so albeit a crude method, preventing borrowing from other players in the last few days should work.

I was considering an exchange where you could also directly trade resources, say 1mil skiffs for 6.5mil rats or whatever, but it'd have to be balanced so people could only set certain amounts and accept offers that were worthwhile so it wasn't used to trade resources. Just a tangent idea.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.