3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Pippin on April 11, 2012, 04:00:16 PM
~idontgetit~

how long is a marines training?
13 weeks for boot camp + infantry training + service school. about 5 months I think total.

Peace Alliance

Quote from: Shores of Tripoli on April 11, 2012, 02:10:02 PM
Ha, obviously bumper stickers is an example in it's most insignificant form. The kinship is displayed at it's best on the battlefield. In combat you must come to the realization that no matter what you do, how hard you try, or how few mistakes you make, you could still die. It's comforting to know that the worlds most advanced killing machine is sitting next to you in the mud with an M16A4 service rifle. You can rest a little easier in your foxhole knowing that the Marine next to you would willingly give his life to save yours. You can see this illustrated in every Marine who has been awarded a medal for valor in combat. If you were to ask that Marine what made him do it or call him a hero he would be confused, thus being that every single Marine that's ever lived would have done the same in his situation. I'm not trying to downplay his heroism, only up play that of every Marine and Navy Corpsman that's ever been in combat.
I am asking because I'm genuinely interested in why you are so passionate about joining the marines. This answer leaves me wondering. You originally expressed the kinship you felt with marines, but here you describe kinship marines feel for each other. You are not yet a marine, so you are not a part of their family. What is it that currently inspires you to become a member of the marines?

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 11, 2012, 08:23:37 PM
Quote from: Shores of Tripoli on April 11, 2012, 02:10:02 PM
Ha, obviously bumper stickers is an example in it's most insignificant form. The kinship is displayed at it's best on the battlefield. In combat you must come to the realization that no matter what you do, how hard you try, or how few mistakes you make, you could still die. It's comforting to know that the worlds most advanced killing machine is sitting next to you in the mud with an M16A4 service rifle. You can rest a little easier in your foxhole knowing that the Marine next to you would willingly give his life to save yours. You can see this illustrated in every Marine who has been awarded a medal for valor in combat. If you were to ask that Marine what made him do it or call him a hero he would be confused, thus being that every single Marine that's ever lived would have done the same in his situation. I'm not trying to downplay his heroism, only up play that of every Marine and Navy Corpsman that's ever been in combat.
I am asking because I'm genuinely interested in why you are so passionate about joining the marines. This answer leaves me wondering. You originally expressed the kinship you felt with marines, but here you describe kinship marines feel for each other. You are not yet a marine, so you are not a part of their family. What is it that currently inspires you to become a member of the marines?

Just that, to be a part of that family. Too know that in a war (regardless of if you believe in it or not) I will be the first to fight for whatever cause it is, be it our freedom, safety, other peoples freedom, or anything else that the people of the united states call on me to do.

Peace Alliance

Why are you looking for a family?

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 11, 2012, 08:37:24 PM

Lol, I laughed really hard at that. Aren't you're being very psychoanalytic today. that's cute.

But I'll play along. I think it's because my dad abandoned me when I was 3, my mom only feeds me when I'm good, and she makes me sleep outside in the barn. Other than that I'd say I had a pretty normal childhood, well except that I was breast fed until I was 13. Oh and that one time I killed my puppy just to watch her bleed.

Peace Alliance

lol. OK, now the serious answer pls.

I'm sure everyone is looking for a great community, but the fact that the marines are a community that shares a kinship does not in-of-itself explain your desire to join.

Shores of Tripoli

Ok, fair enough. I'd don't really need a family, I just want a bigger one. It's a lot closer than a biological family because its forged in the fires of combat, not through blood relation. It's something that is difficult to describe. I'd suggest that you watch the HBO miniseries "Pacific" to get a small grasp on what it means to be a Marine. They do as good a job as one could at taking all those emotions and putting them in a visual form in an attempt to communicate them to others. It's a difficult thing to do.

Ian2424

Quote from: Shores of Tripoli on April 11, 2012, 08:46:16 PM
Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 11, 2012, 08:37:24 PM

Lol, I laughed really hard at that. Aren't you're being very psychoanalytic today. that's cute.

But I'll play along. I think it's because my dad abandoned me when I was 3, my mom only feeds me when I'm good, and she makes me sleep outside in the barn. Other than that I'd say I had a pretty normal childhood, well except that I was breast fed until I was 13. Oh and that one time I killed my puppy just to watch her bleed.
At first, I thought you were serious  :o. I only cried at the puppy thought, though. I love animals  :-\
Uhh, it's needs to be about 20% cooler.
Quote from: Krowdon on April 28, 2012, 07:53:37 AM
*beats Night Wolf with a penguin*

Peace Alliance

Quote from: Shores of Tripoli on April 11, 2012, 08:53:46 PM
Ok, fair enough. I'd don't really need a family, I just want a bigger one. It's a lot closer than a biological family because its forged in the fires of combat, not through blood relation. It's something that is difficult to describe. I'd suggest that you watch the HBO miniseries "Pacific" to get a small grasp on what it means to be a Marine. They do as good a job as one could at taking all those emotions and putting them in a visual form in an attempt to communicate them to others. It's a difficult thing to do.
When you watch things like "Pacific," what is it specifically that is appealing to you? The part I don't get is how you overcome your fears and reservations for this. Why are you willing to give up your future to join a team of killers?

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 11, 2012, 09:26:00 PM
Quote from: Shores of Tripoli on April 11, 2012, 08:53:46 PM
When you watch things like "Pacific," what is it specifically that is appealing to you? The part I don't get is how you overcome your fears and reservations for this. Why are you willing to give up your future to join a team of killers?

Killing is necessary to ensure freedom. Now granted the current war we are in isn't tied directly to protecting our freedom, but it is our safety. I fear that there will come a time again were killing is necessary for our freedom, and last time it was, the Marine Corps did all the killing.

Ungatt Trunn II

QuoteMedal of Honor recipients by branch:
Army   2411
Navy   747
Marines   298
Air Force   18
Coast Guard   1

You really should give the army a bit more credit. Ever heard of Audie Murphy or Roy Benavidez? Natural born super-soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7968BbMnU check that video out. Stunning story.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Peace Alliance

OK, so you want to protect the USA, and you want to do it by joining a fellowship of killers in kinship.

You say you fear there will once again be a time when killing is the only option to protect the USA. What is this future threat?

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 11, 2012, 10:09:41 PM
OK, so you want to protect the USA, and you want to do it by joining a fellowship of killers in kinship.

You say you fear there will once again be a time when killing is the only option to protect the USA. What is this future threat?

I'm not predicting this, I fear it. Therefor i don't think anyone specific will be a threat, I only fear that someone will.

@Ungatt Trunn II, I like the Army. They are good at what they do, the Marine Corps is just better at killing people, and that's what counts in combat.

Genevieve

Your irrational fear of future threats to your "freedom" make me think that you are somewhat of a paranoid person. Yet you are willing to go to the front line of fighting this supposed threat, and risk getting killed.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I'm just gonna go with my original instinct I had when I first saw this topic and assume you are a crazy person.