Alternatives to the 72 hour rule

Started by Shadow, June 08, 2008, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

I think we may have gotten the solution backwards here. To avoid clan hopping, people need to be locked IN clans for 72 hours no matter what, not locked out. I think a new solution needs to be discussed, because the new rules get in the way of a lot of perfectly legitimate strategies while barely hindering clan hoppers (If I wanted to be a jerk I could make a kill every 72 hours without the possibility of being killed myself quite easily)

Discuss.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

taekwondokid42

I agree. Once you join a clan, there should be no way for you to leave within 72 hours.

Or, under dire situations, if you kick someone out, they are locked out of any clan for a week or even more.

Just leaving a clan would result in 72 hour downtime.

CobyCopper

Quote from: Shadow on June 08, 2008, 04:35:07 PM
I think we may have gotten the solution backwards here. To avoid clan hopping, people need to be locked IN clans for 72 hours no matter what, not locked out. I think a new solution needs to be discussed, because the new rules get in the way of a lot of perfectly legitimate strategies while barely hindering clan hoppers (If I wanted to be a jerk I could make a kill every 72 hours without the possibility of being killed myself quite easily)

Discuss.
I'd have to disagree actually--what if I hopped into Wrath because I found out the password? I'd have 72 hours to watch Wrath from the inside and they're unable to hurt me without unclanning themselves. I think no clans for 72 hours is fine--it keeps people from making a huge dent every run.

Shadow

The leader could have to confirm a new member before they are allowed in the clan, so the pass thing isn't necessarily a huge problem

CobyCopper

Quote from: Shadow on June 09, 2008, 09:51:53 AM
The leader could have to confirm a new member before they are allowed in the clan, so the pass thing isn't necessarily a huge problem
That could work. But the question then is how hard will it be to program into our code.

Shadow

Let's not worry about the coding just yet, and brainstorm solutions. Because this one isn't working quite as planned.

The Lady Shael

Wouldn't be too difficult. Actually, with a confirmation system, we could completely do away with passwords.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Alazar is Back

That sounds like a good idea. The current rule needs to go though.
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Shadow

So: confirmation needed to join, member locked in for 72 hours no matter what. Sound good?

Peace Alliance

That would slow down recruiting significently. What if the leader or assistant don't log on for a week? As it is people just need to have a PW and they can get in...

Shadow

If the leader is gone for weeks at a time I don't think anyone would want to join in the first place tbh. Plus if both were gone for that length of time it's unlikely they would be giving out the password during that time anyway. It won't change anything on the recruiting end I don't think.

The Lady Shael

Plus the leader will be deleted for inactivity if they don't log on for a week anyway. =p

I think this would actually encourage recruiting. It's kind of reverse recruiting...but this way it's easier for people to join clans they want to. They can send a request, and if they get accepted, yay! If not, they get a message saying that their request was denied.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

Shadow

I think that was the fastest, most painless update discussion ever. Is this something you will work into this set, or the next one do you think?

The Lady Shael

Uh, definitely next set, if even that. Been a little busy irl, so I haven't even had time to do other developments or bug fixes I've needed to do.

Of course, still need the okay from Peace and wolf before this is confirmed.

Shadow

Heh, alright. Not to be a nuisance (feel free to tell me to shut up) I also think the unlimited clan aid needs to be looked at. Right now, soloers have absolutely no chance at winning a set because of it.