It would be worth your while

Started by Burninate, December 15, 2003, 04:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burninate

Quote from: AdenWhat do you want the admins to do? Force members to be nice to each other?
Now that would rock. If it worked in kindergarten, why not now? That is really an idea to consider. Keep everyone in line. Or the other extreme: Tania's way - start with nice people.

But what I'm saying, one competent admin can't handle all this - get some!
Thanks for bringing that up, Cal, I forgot. Yes we need many mods, we've got almost none.

Also, WHY did you delete my topic and single post with the 'wowwow' account? It was probably the most important thing I've said on these forums. Whoever did it, come out so I can shoot you.
~Veranor, The Beatles, Nevadacow, Devari~
Dear Forums,
This happened once before,
When I came to your door,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
They said you were not home,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

?Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world..."

The Lady Shael

I checked the logs and it wasn't me, but you can go ahead and shoot me instead, if you'd like.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

General Austin

-In Reference to the original point of this topic. Forgive me if I totally switched the current point of the topic around or I've re-stated some other point another one made. If so, PM me and I'll edit it.-

Being an Admin is a totally thankless and time-consuming job. No matter what any mod does, or any number of mods do to help this forum, they'll still be flamed to a crisp for any decision they make.

Take, for example, the Peace Alliance thread. I understand that the decisions made were not an acceptable admin decision, but this is only to be used and thought of as an example for my point. Wolf Bite and Peace were going at each other, and others were joining in heartily. (Including me.) All of them wanted something to be done, and when something WAS done, they flamed Ad so badly that he was probably hurting about it for the whole day.

Look now, Ad burned out in only 4-6 months because of you guys. Retto thankfully is surviving because he makes a decision, then !~Poof~! goes away. Shael might survive longer as admin, but because she always apologizes to the people when they get angry, which is every single time a decision is made. Note the above post made by Shael.

QuoteI checked the logs and it wasn't me, but you can go ahead and shoot me instead, if you'd like.

I for one would think I could accept becoming a Mod, but I know that I'm too soft-hearted to stick to my word after the first five-dozen people scream in my face for my decisions. I do agree that we need someone to fill the spot of admin, but I also think that it should be known that it's a totally thankless job, and all the decisions made are wrong in the eyes of the people.

(Note to all: RAD is an exception to the "Thankless job" part. I consider that RAD topics and "Admin-leaving" topics are the only time the majority of the forums congratulates the administrators' efforts. Sadly, we only have RAD. Not anything for Ad, who is un-doubtedly the more active of the two admins, or Shael, who is also an active administrator.)
In God I trust, and in Him alone shall I put my faith.

Sha

Bravo, Aus.

I haven't been posting too much around here lately, as I've been trying to keep out of the line of fire. However, I have been reading pretty much everything that goes on here, and there is no one person to blame for, um, whatever you want to call what's going on. We're all to blame. Yes, everyone. And I won't say anymore because I'll probably end up offending someone. =)

[Edit - Yes! I can type, I promise!]

Ashyra Nightwing

Admins... Well, Shael is a great admin. She's here often, she is active, she is all the things you could want in an admin. I think Ad was a great admin too. These people wouldn't have been made admins if they weren't up to the job. If there were no admins, how would these forums end up?
Be thankful for the admins we have.

(yes.. I think we need more mods..)

RazorClaw

Well, I've been around for a year, and I can think of a lot of people who would be good admins. But we need a bunch of mods that get on here twice a day and DON'T play sides. We can't have people saying windhound gets gagged for spamming repeatedly (sorry, windy, I'm just using you as an example) and then saying that Julie gets off because she's popular. I know I'm not very good material for modship or adminship, but we do need more people modding and administrating.

*Puts "Great Admin" hat on Shael's head*

Dixie Ros?

Why do I get ignored, may I ask? I brought up the topic of needing mods first...Which we seriously do.

Anyway... We need  an AAD. And a new phrase for said AAD day; sounds like a disorder.  :D   :P

*pokes Ashyra*
user posted image

"I love you, Retto! And I don't even have a plushie fixation! Aren't you relieved?"
 "Sarah! That was so uncalled for! *grumbles in a threating way*"
"*huggles a Retto plushie secretively*"

Burninate

Yes, Dixie, having 2.0000234 semi-active mods is not enough. Teufel is the bit after the decimal point.
For one, more mods, for one, decent rules.
Now, as to the main point.. this isn't about popularity, folks. It's about making the forum a good place to be in. If it's not, and several of you have admitted that it's not, then the admins aren't doing their job.

As for listening to suggestions... what about the one about merging Polling and GD now that there's a Spam room? Been out for some months, mentioned often...
Dear Forums,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

Dixie Ros?

Welllll....I hope they don't myself... We need mods. You're right. I think that Ashyra and windhound  would be good mods, both have clean track records  and are mature...*cheese cheese cheese*...At least, er, windhound is. :D

*sits back down in the back row of the forums*
user posted image

"I love you, Retto! And I don't even have a plushie fixation! Aren't you relieved?"

Scarwake

More mods are defiantely needed, we currently only have 1 mod.  Whom isn't able to access the forums like she wants to because she is in college and is swamped with college work, but when she is on she does her best to help out.
Shael did an excellent job when she was a mod and she is still doing an excellent job as an admin, but lets face it.  We can't have one admin that does like everything one the forums.  Retto does a lot, yes, but like said before he makes a decision then vanishes for sometime.  Boze, doesn't get on the forums that much, or atleast he doesn't sign in...
Stormclaw, I dunno where he's been....He's been gone for like ever...

Soo, we have a lot of pressure on just one admin who tries her best to do what she can when she can.  We need more than just one mod to help moderate the forums.  I'd be more than willing to perform such a task, I know I could handle it, I've done it before on forums much larger than what we have here.
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Dixie Ros?

I would be flattered if I was chosen to help mod for a while.
user posted image

Menatus

We get it :)

People keep complaining about getting new admins and aren't even nominating anyone.

Burninate

:)
Shael's not *the* admin that's admining, that would be more approximated by Retto, but hey, anyone'll pick the most popular...

Anyways, nominations so far include
Xenocide, Wolf Bite, Holby, Veranor, Ereptor, Peace, Tania, Dixie Rose, Ashyra, Windhound, Aus, and Beatles in no particular order at all. Should we poll or wait until an admin notices...?
Dear Forums,
No reply.
I tried to telephone,
That's a lie,
No reply, No reply.

Ashyra Nightwing

Whatever you do, don't make me a mod.

I'm an irresponsible spammer..

^_^

(hehe.. I'm an Admin at Julie's forums.. it's a fun place to go mad with power..)

Dixie Ros?

Retto WON'T make Beatl's a mod...

Stop forgeting the Accet Mark!
user posted image